Sub-families and genera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-families and genera

To counter my serious post about WC spiders, here's a fun one...

list your favourite sub-familiese and/or genera, and tell us all what you love about them!!! you can include stories.

i'll start with a few of mine:

Aphonopelma (the north american variety. this genus is going to split into new ones, but for now, i'll just call it what it still is!)
    i love them because they are subtle spiders...some of the time. a freshly moulted one is a sight to behold! the humble chalcodes is respendent in golds and peaches and reds and even has metallic femurs!
    new rivers are beautiful and quite similar, with a strong peachy colouration. it's stunning!
    bicoloratum shine bright red, with a silvery sheen given by the longer silver setae.
    a carlsbad green is fluffy, with grey green colouration and if memory serves right, longer pink setae setting it all off.
    they're also amazingly easy to keep, if not to breed.
    also, slings start to take on a semblance of adult colouration a mere two years into growing...so they're not all dull brown for 8 years

Psalmopoeus
    so far there are 4 species commonly available to us, all are amazing.
    hardy, fast growing, and stunning...they have everything you could want in a spider. cambridgei can get huge, too!
    even the dullest one, reduncus is stunning with a shiny metallic bronze carapace.
    they also change alot from sling to adult...it's so fun watching them grow!

Ephebopus
    also only 4 species commonly available to hobbyists.
    the obvious, incredibly showy ones are cyanagnathus and uatuman. words can't express how shiny they are as juves and slings! i've yet to see adults in the flesh, but they look great in pics, if more subdued.
    rufescens turned out to be amazing...red skeleton is actually a decent common name...the metallic red stripes stand out beautifully, and the overall colour is a lovely red. no pic i've seen does justice.
    and everyone knows the lovely murinus. beautiful canary yellow stripes on such a handsome spider!
    all seem to go through changes from sling to adult, and all are fun and quite hardy.

Selenocosminae
    a huge group of varied and interesting spiders...there's Coremiocnemus brachyramosa, Chilobrachys fimbriatus, Selenocosmia arndsti and many many more...they have loads of personality, are hardy, beautiful (some subtle, some flashy), and fast growers. what's not to love!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Grammostola ... no matter what you think you have it could be something different

Avicularia .... see above
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Psalmopeus
      I personally love P.Irmina the most in this family, stunning colouration make this spider a real feast for the eyes when on display.

Ornithoctoninae
      Big fan of both Haplopelma and Lampropelma. From the stunning flash of blue on the H.Lividum to the sheer size of L.Violaceopes. Also like the name earth tigers

Acanthoscurria
      A.Geniculata has to be one of the most beautiful spiders in the whole hobby, great feeders and full of personality. What more could you ask for
      Tarantulas kept:
      0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

I'd have to say Avics too Colin, because no matter what you have it usually IS something different!!

I know little about Ephebopus except my little murinus Effy, she was a darling!! Loved exploring but always went back to her tank as good as gold!

A personal fave of mine are Haplopelmas, especially schmidti and lividium. Liv females have this nasty reputation over temper but they're really lovely little things. Ok schmidtis can be "assertive but they are really beautiful!.

I also love Eucratoscelus, wish I knew more about them. I have two and they still bewilder me!!
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
        X