Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ischnocolus

I find myself in need of help.

I'm looking for as much information on the three species of Ischnocolus found in spain.

Ischnocolus andalusiacus, Ischnocolus holosericeus, Ischnocolus valentinus

I particularly need Photo's so I can visually distinguish between the species.

Does anyone have any idea of their exact range? at what altitudes can they be found?

I'm planning to go to Andalusia so I'm planning on making the most of my time when I'm there. Also if anyone would know of the correct way of legally bringing specimens back? Although I probably won't do this I just thought it would be best to ask just in case.

Any help would be greatly received

Many thanks,

Sam

I think the current word on the street is there is only probably one Ischnocolus species on the iberian peninsula, but
    it has yet to be looked at properly in publication.

I only saw some in captivity sold as I.valentinus, so i think you are going to struggle with photos unless you talk to
    local arachnologists in spain. Hows your spanish? Also, you are not going to be able to make species identifications
    by photograph, it requires some morphological comparisons under a dissecting microscope.

As a start i can send you the Vol 1999 paper that looks at them at two sites around Marbella.
    In Morocco i know of some Ischnocolus found in Open Cedar forest; elevation 1790 m.

Provided you are planning to do things legally and responsibly (it sounds like this), i am willing
    to help you more. When do you go and have you ever search mygalomorphs before?

I sent you a PM with my email. Hope to be in touch.
    stuart
    Last edited by stuart longhorn; 25-03-11, 01:49 AM. Reason: i cant spell Ischnocolus !
    British Tarantula Society
    My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Many thanks, have emailed you.

Sam

Comment

Working...
      X