Juvie B smithi drumming - male?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juvie B smithi drumming - male?

Hi I have a B smithi that is 2.5 yrs old, and about 3" legspan. It has just moulted for the second time in my care - bought Oct last year and moulted on 12th March. It spends a lot of the time on the side of the enclosure in front of the heat mat.
    I have watched it drumming on the side of the enclosure a few times. Is this common for a juvie, and does this mean it is a male? I have not sexed it yet, can anyone confirm male or female?

Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
    Lasiodora parahybana 0.0.1
    Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
    Poecilotheria regalis 0.0.1
    Poecilotheria rufilata 0.1.0
    Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0
    Avicularia versicolor 0.0.1
    Psalmopoeus irminia 0.0.1
    Aphonopelma schmidti 0.1.0
    Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 0.0.1
    Acanthoscurria geniculata 0.0.1

hi chris most definately a female congrats you'll have her for many years to come. if you look between the two booklungs at the front end you can see what looks like a long slit this is visible only in females. as for her hanging round the heat pad prehaps it's a tad cold in the room where she is so she's clinging to the warmest place not to sure about the drumming against the window though prehaps someone else might be able to shed some light on this.

Comment

I would second the opinion its female. Also to add the outward lobe (spermathecae) that defines the female. There are plenty of sexing guides around, im sure you can either find one or someone will remember an obvious link. Yes, spider behaviour is often informative, so its good to ask about various things. Indeed i would agree that hanging on the heatpad side means the spider is trying to be warmer. Would be good to see how the behaviour changes if you increas heating, either more heatpad in contact with the tank, or insulate somehow - ie if the heatpad isnt giving enough warmth i cover the back of the heatpad and sometimes sides of tank with polystyrine. (covering the back of the heatpad means more heat is directed into the glass side).

As for the drumming, well yes, mature males do that, but the most typical courtship signal its by vibrating legs III. But mature males also do drum with the front two pairs of legs, each leg drumming in turn, or all front legs together as a more assertive move together. But, females and juveniles also do the 'each leg drumming in turn. It seems to be just a way of communicating their presence. It could be directed at another spider nearby or directed at you. I cant say if its a a 'i'm here, beware -warning' they of the spiders presence, or a 'i'm here, come here' type communication. Maybe both?

regards
      stuart
      British Tarantula Society
      My Lovely spiders:

Comment

Working...
      X