Mating taking place in burrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mating taking place in burrow

Hi, I'm just wondering whether anyone has experience of a successful mating which took place inside the females burrow? If so is this a common occurance? Spider in question is Selenocosmia crassipes or Phlogius crassipes? Also have they been classified as Phlogius now? Its just I mated mine the other night, got video set up, camera for stills and he just went in, tapped and then nothing for 40 minutes, then he popped out the way he went in cleaning his palps and went back to his tub. I'm taking this as a sign it went well. Any ideas?

Does this thread have some terrible disease then?

Comment

LOL.
      The person with the best insight into this is yourself Stephen. If it were out of your view then its very likely to be out of ours
      The burrow would have to be big enough for the male to lift the female to get an insertion. Do you think that's the case?

A possible sign would be the male making another sperm web.

Personally I'd give him another go.
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hi Peter, Yes he has built another sperm web...last night actually. Plus her burrow chamber is very large and it would have been possible to lift her up. I guess my question was more like "anyone else seen this" in their experience. I may try him again then. Thanks Peter!

Comment

Hey Steve,

During one of my H.lividum pairings, they mated at the burrow entrance. When finished, the female scuttled away back down her burrow and the male followed. He didn't surface for 48 hours! I was almost certain he had been eaten, especially when the female webbed up the entrance. But he soon surfaced live and well.

I couldn't see what was going on and I only hope their time together was put to good use. So I don't know if it was successful or not just yet.

Jamie.
          My Collection:

Comment

Many years ago i mated two Haplopelma lividum, he spreadeagled her burrow and then disapeared rump first backwards into her burrow. Four hours later still no sign of the male so i presumed i had lost him, next day there he is in the corner looking very pleased with himself and a few months later Spiderlings.

Chris

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
            Why not make a weekend of it.

Comment

Thanks for the input Jamie/Chris. I'm pretty sure he did the deed, I'm going to leave them be and see what happens.

Comment

Dear Steve

hope you are well, the male C.fimbriatus has died now, of old age but they paired 3 times so hopefully we might get an oothecae, how is the S.crassipes oothecae doing?

mike

m.jope@hotmail.co.uk

PS Interested in any P.chordatus spiderlings? she had 175

Comment

Working...
                X