Spider exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider exercise

I'm reading an article on Ctenizid (trapdoor) spiders on the ATS, and there's a mention of spontaneous leaping that occurs, apparently unmotivated...speculation is raised that it's a release of pent up energy, or perhaps a practice strike to keep skills up to snuff.

that made me think...spiders are "lazy" creatures (definition: efficient), that don't seem to waste energy unless they have to...and recover it via protein whenever possible, even from their own silk, eggs, etc.

i realise they have entirely different muscle structures and ways of using energy compared to us mammals, but it seems extraordinary to me that they don't appear to need exercise, or stretching, or anything that we do to keep limber and fit.

and we think WE'RE the advanced creatures? lol
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

I personally think that part of the "issue" is that for years people assumed spiders didn't do much, put them in small enclosures where they couldn't do much, then perpetuated the idea that "spiders don't do much" because they in fact, couldn't.

I maintain that if you put them in a big enclosure and spend the time watching them with a red light, etc, they actually do quite a lot. So, perhaps it's just the perception that is off a bit, and these leaps of "exercise" are normal behaviours...we just don't see them much or allow for it in the typical set up. I'd certainly say that my animals in large containers, when settled, are sedate movers, but they are certainly not motionless for most of the time like perceptions would dictate.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Brown View Post
      I personally think that part of the "issue" is that for years people assumed spiders didn't do much, put them in small enclosures where they couldn't do much, then perpetuated the idea that "spiders don't do much" because they in fact, couldn't.

I maintain that if you put them in a big enclosure and spend the time watching them with a red light, etc, they actually do quite a lot. So, perhaps it's just the perception that is off a bit, and these leaps of "exercise" are normal behaviours...we just don't see them much or allow for it in the typical set up. I'd certainly say that my animals in large containers, when settled, are sedate movers, but they are certainly not motionless for most of the time like perceptions would dictate.
      i think it depends on the species. but even the most active certainly don't waste energy like us mammals do...it's still amazing to me!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

How many of us have sat up for a few nights and days and watched a spider go about it's daily/nightly business. i think grants on the right track in that many people read info to state they don't do much, but they wont in a small enclosure.
        If they have excess space ... they certainly use it!!!
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hm, now that's an interesting thought . . . makes me think of getting a larger enclosure for mine, just to see what she will do.

Comment

all my spiders do stuff when it suits them, but my point was really the interesting fact that they don't do as much as you'd expect they'd need to in order to move like they're able to do at the drop of a hat!
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
            X