Togo Starburst Baboon Heteroscodra maculata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Togo Starburst Baboon Heteroscodra maculata

hi guys, just been over the road to pet city and saw a t i never heard of, so bought it. Togo Starburst Baboon
    Heteroscodra maculata sling
    just been looking round the net an found out its aboreal, and aggresive an pretty fast, cool. just wanderin if any one has/had any of these sp. before an maybe share a bit of knowladge that might help me keep her happy an cozy in her new home.
    thanx.
    p.s got a chaco golden knee and an avic avic too, gold knee ready to moult gunna be skint all the time now i just moved in across the road from a good pet shop

Hi Mark, I have one here, a female raised from sling. Despite only being black/white/bit of brown they are trully stunning spiders. Be warned though, they are very fast and will fight first, ask questions later.
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

I agree with Nicola, theyre quick and accurate, but generally very shy. I am amazed at how fast mine can detect and then grab a cricket from the opposite corner of its terrarium. I have found that they are heavy webbers and like all tarantula's are not to keen on being disturbed. Keep it warm and fed and it will grow at a steady rate. I'd class mine as one of my "jewels" of my collection.
      Tarantulas kept:
      0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

This is what they look like when they get bigger Mark,

Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	94049
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

one of my favourite African spiders!
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

thanx guys, nice pic cant wait to see her growing

Comment

This is an awesome T. I see you bought it pretty irresponsibly, treat it with extreme respect. This species can teleport, has an extremely potent venom among theraphosids and is generally very defensive. It's really shy as well.
              When sling/juvie they love to burrow and will be pretty reclusive, some adults tend to stay this way, some will become less reclusive. Give it a pretty big layer of substrate and a tubular piece of bark, it'll love it and most likely build a burrow inside it; with multiple exits and webbed entrances. Females have an amazing brown pattern on white/cream, males are fuzzier and with a dull brownish/sand coloration, the pattern is less striking.

pic of my female

Last edited by Marco Amerino; 11-04-11, 10:10 PM.

Comment

while i can understand some caution being advised... alarmism doesn't help.

if you give it lots of respect and don't poke it or disturb it (lifting the enclosure's lid slowly and the minimum amount, for example), you shouldn't ever have to worry about the venom.
                "extremely potent" for Theraphosids is still not lethal (unless you are badly allergic, of course, and even then).

i never had any trouble with my spiders, even the ones that could be argued by some to be "irresponsible" buys.

common sense = not getting bitten
                these are not dangerous animals compared to some that are more commonly kept (dogs, horses, etc)

one good go deserves another
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

I hope I wasn't misunderstood, no alarmism at all in my words. That's why I advised to treat it with lots of respect, that's a milestone in my book. I also added "among theraphosids" after talking about the venom to specifically mean that it's one of the most potent among tarantulas (so not lethal or really bad on a general scale), just to avoid a misperception of my words

Comment

fair enough, sorry if i misunderstood
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                    X