Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B. baumgarteni and B. boehmei differentiation

Hello all, this is my first post here

So, I'm trying to figure out what my spider hre really is. She was bought as a B. boehmei, but I've since been told she is actually a B. baumgarteni. She is currently about 5" DLS.

With flash:

Without flash:

LegI metatarsus (an orange mark here is supposedly a baumgarteni trait, a black one is a boehmei)

Her spermathecae:

A vid if you prefer (watch in HD to see all of the details)

I an unsure what to think.

I've scoured the net for pictures of both boehmei and baumgarteni, and I've found that pics of the baumgarteni are mostly spiders with bright red knees, lighter legs, and a very characteristic, smithi-like carapace color/pattern that look nothing like mine. I've even found some juvie/sling pictures where they are already sporting that characteristic carapace, while mine remains boehmei-like at 5" (I was told they look alike as slings/juvies with baumgartenis changing appearance as they mature). I will also find pictures of baumgarteni that look exactly like my spider.

Boehmei pictures tend to show spiders with bright red legs, and a uniformly red carapace, with a few that look exactly like mine as well!

I've also found this video showing natural variation in color of sacmates (these are both female boehmei here), with the one on the left resembling my girl, and the one on the right resembling a lot of the boemei pictures I've seen.

Do these two differ in any other, structural way that I can glean from a molt, or the actual spider itself? Something that has nothing to do with color, or attitude, or anything that can be too subjective? I'd guess they'd differ in bulb structure and spermathecae, but I only have a female, and all the spermathecae I've seen online seems to be different depending on where on the net I see it.

Thanks for the time and help guys!

According to the spider sitting in front of me now yours is definitely a B. bohemi!!!
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

100% Brachypelma boehmei
      -P

Comment

Working...
      X