G. pulchra Spiderling Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. pulchra Spiderling Care

Hi i have recently purchased a G. pulchra spiderling, it is has a legspan of approx 1 1/2 inches. I have it housed in an old cricket tub approx 18cm x 9cm x 6cm. I use a bottle cap from a coke bottle as a water bowl which i will be filling twice weekly and letting overflow slighty as i do with my adult rosea. Does this sound ok? Or is there anything else i need to be doing?

Im also after advice on what size crickets and how often to feed it?

Thanks in advance.

Ps i dont like calling the sling It! but its obviously unsexed maybe i should think positive and called is she?

sounds ok as I do the same with slings.
    A small hide too might help.
    crickets size small not medium till bigger.

Comment

Thanks John, I've sorted out a small hide for her I found a old roll on deodorant bottle lid, after a good washing it suits just fine. Thanks for the advice with cricket size the shop said it was on mediums but do seem a bit big. I'll try small and see how it goes. How often should I offer food and how many?

Comment

I feed one aweek and that's ok,
        even my adults only get one but normally adult size cricket or dubia roach as these fill em up more.. but not to be over fed.

Comment

Thanks John, I too only feed my adult rosea 1 cricket a week. The handy thing is I can put my Sling on the same feeding schedule. Are Slings prone to fasts like adults, my rosea can snub food for weeks sometimes but I never worry, should I worry if a sling does this?

Comment

Originally posted by MattFreier View Post
            Thanks John, I too only feed my adult rosea 1 cricket a week. The handy thing is I can put my Sling on the same feeding schedule. Are Slings prone to fasts like adults, my rosea can snub food for weeks sometimes but I never worry, should I worry if a sling does this?
            from what I've seen with slings it's eat grow fast to be big .. adults it's all different because they don't need to worry because they are big.. so I wouldn't of thought a sling would fast..
            Ie our salmon pink eats and double it's size to be brave .. lol

Comment

Cricket tubs fine at the mo, when it moults you can move it into a hatchling box which will do it for a while further.
              They're reasonably slow growing even as slings (just a genus thing)
              Not wishing to contradict anything written already but at 1.5 inch legspan i wouldn't think twice about giving it an adult brown cricket (they're brilliant predators). weekly feedings fine so you can keep the feeding in tune with the larger one
              They do sometimes go off food but at the smaller size it's normally to do with moulting and not an adult "i can't be bothered" thing.
              Dry substrate, dampened corner (or a water bowl if you use them) will be fine, temp anywhere around 70-80 and it'll do well (they're very adaptable)
              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks Colin, i did try her(thinking positive lol) on a large cricket as i too had read somewhere that they should be ok. It was pretty disinterested but im wondering if that is a settling in to a new home thing? It is currently redecorating by bulldozing the substrate into its new hide. As it is yet to eat since i purchased it on Friday i was probably going to wait until sunday night giving it time to settle in and work up an appetite lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                  Cricket tubs fine at the mo, when it moults you can move it into a hatchling box which will do it for a while further.
                  They're reasonably slow growing even as slings (just a genus thing)
                  Not wishing to contradict anything written already but at 1.5 inch legspan i wouldn't think twice about giving it an adult brown cricket (they're brilliant predators). weekly feedings fine so you can keep the feeding in tune with the larger one
                  They do sometimes go off food but at the smaller size it's normally to do with moulting and not an adult "i can't be bothered" thing.
                  Dry substrate, dampened corner (or a water bowl if you use them) will be fine, temp anywhere around 70-80 and it'll do well (they're very adaptable)
                  Ditto what Colin wrote. My G pulchra is 1 1/2" and she quite happily feeds on full size cricks. Iv got her in a tub about 3 times her length and shes growing and shedding brilliantly. Slow growing though as stated. Iv got her on that coco fibre with a milk bottle cap for water which is at the slightly dampened end of the substrate. She does enjoy bulldozing the substrate sometimes. We try to feed her weekly but she doesnt always take food (variety of sizes). She shows all typical behavour for the genus.
                  David Attenborough:
                  ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

pic. 1 1/2 year old G pulchra

Heres a pic of our G pulchra.
                    Attached Files
                    David Attenborough:
                    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Just remember adult brown crickets are smaller than adult black crickets in fact an adult female black cricket would be near enough the same size as your Grammostola pulchra.

Chris S.

Comment

Sorry should have mentioned i only use brown cricks
                        David Attenborough:

Comment

Me too i only use brown crickets. Nice pic btw K Smith i did try taking pictures when i first got it but they were not very good.

Comment

Working...
                          X