Well this doesn't happen everyday!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well this doesn't happen everyday!!!

Had a shock this evening. Recently I've had a couple of spiders die in moults so tonight I saw one of my spids hadn't been eating. I went to investigate and there she was at the bottom of her container, half out of a moult and not moving. I thought "here we go" and gently picked her up. Putting her on the palm of my hand I went in search of a container to put her in until the morning when I would bury the poor girl. WhenI got the container for her I felt a tickle on my hand, she was still alive!!!
    So now I have a tarantula moulting on my hand whilst I'm looking for some tissue paper to put her on in the container for her to rest with until the morning. I can't put her back in her old home because there's all crickets in there and she's still moulting on my hand!!

Anyway I finally got her onto some tissue paper in a container and put some moisture in there for her too until the morning. I suppose there's a first for everything, having a tarantula moult on my hand! Aww
    Picture link below:

sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

gosh hope that works out ok! i've also lost a few, i think due to the temperature drop of a couple weeks ago. i'd already turned off the radiator etc as it was heating up...and then a temp drop and suddenly three recently moulted spiders died. gutting!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks James. Yes she's snuggled up next to the boiler now. She's finished moulting, all ok. Now I hope I can get her through the recovery and all will be good! Sorry to hear about your losses, its horrible when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
        Thanks James. Yes she's snuggled up next to the boiler now. She's finished moulting, all ok. Now I hope I can get her through the recovery and all will be good! Sorry to hear about your losses, its horrible when that happens.
        i'm glad she's doing ok!
        thanks, it's been a bit rough lately! bad luck i guess...
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Gosh, hope that never happens to me! Hope everything will be ok. Looked like an ok moult from the pic.

I was getting used to the hot weather doing me a favour on heating bills, and the heat mats being off until the weather turned the other week. My chile rose is due a moult now, shes gone just over a year without one. But shes does the chile rose thing of being off her food for 9 months then ate one crick a couple weeks go and now refuses food again. Confuses me on what to look for in an upcoming moult!
          David Attenborough:
          ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

To be honest I didn't mind her moulting on my hand, it was more how to move her afterward without damaging her. Thats whilst I had to act asap. A total "Don't Panic!" moment. She's fine now, all is done and I've put the girl in a warm, dark cupboard with some water to convalesce for a couple of days. Thanks!!

Comment

@ nicoladolby Good Luck on the recovery keep us updated but @ least she is ok.

@K Smith I am sitting in the same boat with my Chile Rose lets just wait and see...

Comment

Never ever touch a molting spider!!! Be glad you didnt stress her to death.

Comment

If you read my write up Jens you would see I thought she WAS dead, had I put her back in her container the crickets would have got her (or the stress of removing them killed her). Still you are right, people should never touch a moulting spider.

Garth I'll get a couple of pics later today and put them on my Flickr link (for some reason they won't load directly on here).
                  Speak Soon!

Comment

Here's a couple of pics of her now:

Any name suggestions?

Comment

how about "Eva" named after Eva Petulengro ....... after all she's a famous Romany PALM reader .......
                      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by JensFalk View Post
                        Never ever touch a molting spider!!! Be glad you didnt stress her to death.
                        try reading the original post properly.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Eve is a lovely name! Thats decided then, Thanks Colin!

Comment

Working...
                          X