• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black & white

Hi.

What is the better black & white t ..?
    the A.brocklehursti or A.geniculata or N.chromatus
    I would like your feed back on what's good or against each of these please.
    I have looked at all three and as I've not owned any thought to get reviews by the lucky ones that have and maybe this will help me choose number 14 in my t collection.

Thanks and I look forward to reading all replies.

John.

They're all fairly similar in terms of care and temperament so just choose the one you like the look of most.
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

And whats wrong with Nhandu coloratovillosus may I ask LOL.

I was going to get all 4 of them when I started out

I find Nhandu a bit jumpy as slings but once they get to a good size they start to show you who the boss is (and it isnt you lol)

Acanthoscurria gen's and brocks are so alike you need to have them side by side to spot the difference (well I do) if you are after a spider to tick all the boxes then it would be A.geniculata for size hunting colour/pattern and a little bit of the devil its a classic display spider.

Chris S.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Smallman View Post
        And whats wrong with Nhandu coloratovillosus may I ask LOL.

I was going to get all 4 of them when I started out

I find Nhandu a bit jumpy as slings but once they get to a good size they start to show you who the boss is (and it isnt
        you lol)

Acanthoscurria gen's and brocks are so alike you need to have them side by side to spot the difference (well I do) if you are after a spider to tick all the boxes then it would be A.geniculata for size hunting colour/pattern and a little bit of the devil its a classic display spider.

Chris S.
        I didn't know about the Nhandu coloratovillosus !.
        So are they better?.
        I can't find much about this Nhandu coloratovillosus.

Comment

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
          I didn't know about the Nhandu coloratovillosus !.
          So are they better?.
          I can't find much about this Nhandu coloratovillosus.
          It all comes down to personal preferences John. If you prefer the look of N. coloratovillosus
          over N. chromatus or N. chromatus over A. geniculata then get the one you like the most.
          They're all really nice spiders with similar size, care requirements and temperaments so it's all down to you really
          www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Well I've done research on Nhandu coloratovillosus and it looks and sounds good.
            I'm still reading as much as I can find.. But if some one has owned one maybe passing on how there's were would be helpful too.

Comment

My N.coloratovillosus is only a wee thing but already has adult colour as I said I found Nhandu very jumpy when small but once they are the size of my Nhandu tripepii they start to run things their way.
              Keep my lot between 22C and 25C all with waterdishes and the odd pouring of water in the corner to keep the base subby damp room humidity is around 65% but have no idea what each containers humidity is and everything seems ok.
              Feed my slings once or twice a week juveniles once a week and any over 3" from once a week to once a month depending on how fat they are

Chris S
              Last edited by Christopher Smallman; 15-05-11, 07:02 PM.

Comment

changed my mind after reading that Nhandu's teleport ( speed wise ).
                So the A.geniculata seems the better one till I get more knowledge.
                Now what size is the question as I've read they get to 7" to 9"?
                Can be aggressive! ( deffencive ?? ) or just bitey? .. hair kicker ?.
                But this is the one I'm now looking deeper in to.

Comment

Nhandu's teleport ?
                  Where ? When ?

Now what size is the question as I've read they get to 7" to 9"?
                  Does it really matter at that size ?

Let me ask you a question.
                  How big does a human get ?
                  Answer .. . anywhere from 2ft to 7ft (extremes) with an average of approx 5 '7 to 5 10'
                  So how big does a genic get ?
                  An adult female will get anywhere from 7in to 9in with 8in being a good average LOL

Aggressive ? Defensive ? Bitey ?
                  I've had a few over the years (got 3 now) and on average I would say they can be slightly on the nervous/jumpy side of things.
                  Our of the 3 I have now, one is more jumpy that the others but not enough to make any problems.

As it has been said before, there is little difference between all of the ones you are interested in.
                  Personly I think that N chromatus are the better looking out of them all but everyone has their favorite.

Just go for it ! ! ! LOL

Comment

the teleport I believe is a way of owners saying it can move ruddy fast lol,
                    Like a guy wrote one second it's feet were just out from it's hide the next it was on his hand lol.
                    But everything I've read on threads about genic sounds more solid and not over mixed with comments of " it's evil or a man eater".. So this will be one of my next t's.

Comment

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
                      the teleport I believe is a way of owners saying it can move ruddy fast lol,

Heteroscodra maculata and Psalmopoeus irminia INVENTED teleportation.
                      I dont think any terrestial Tarantula can match them for there one second and up your arm and on your shoulder 0.1 second later.
                      So no, i definately dont think that Nhandu sp are a particularly fast spider.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                        True dat !!! I've had the odd pokie that has exceeded normal limits, and all the above are nothing compared to a "Huntsman" in freak mode.
                        In comparison terrestrials are a tractor vursus a Ferrari in the quarter mile.

As i said John, i'd go with the genic, they're a nice robust spider, you'll get to be accustomed with the eventual size as it grows in your care, they eat well, you dont hear many horror stories about moulting etc, they look good and they're cheap enough.
                        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Ive never kept A. brocklehursti but I have kept several A.geniculata, N.chromatus and N. colloratovillosus. To my mind, knowing your collection, I'd say these are all a step up from what you have. They're all a bit faster and actively hunt their food but when it comes to speed, although quick to pounce, they don't tend to go much more than the reach of thier legs.
                          I think they make great additions, rarely if ever ignoring food, hardy, grow quite fast and all get a decent size.
                          Nhandu seem to be a little more prone to defence than others as can be seen by the photo below of one of my large juveniles.
                          If you're not comfortable with a pouncer, then you might be best to wait before introducing these to your collection, they might just make you jump John!

My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Lol that looks a liitle peed off lol..
                            The GBB did that at first but has settled a little now it only kicks hair,
                            The Genic sounds the better one .. it's what to go for sling or juvi and how easy or hard they are to repot/rehome ?
                            As you know Pete my redknee is in a big enough tank I could use as Mandie wants exo terra's nano for her avics and 12x12x12 for the rest so the redknee would be moved to one of them ( later on in the year once things are better )
                            That's why I'm researching now to get as much info before I take the jump.
                            Yes Colin I think it's a better one over Nhandu's after all I've read.
                            It's the cleaning of tank , moving from tub to tub as it gets bigger I'm wondering about even after reading they calm down out the tank ?? lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                              I dont think any terrestial Tarantula can match them for there one second and up your arm and on your shoulder 0.1 second later.
                              So no, i definately dont think that Nhandu sp are a particularly fast spider.
                              Maybe they been watching star treke .. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X