Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my chile rose

Hello

I hope this is the right board to ask this, if not can you please direct me to the correct one.

I got a Chile Rose on 2 April this year. I am offering him food each week but he hasn't eaten yet. He seems very healthy and active. He doesn't have a shriveled up abdomen and is drinking well so I don't think him being ill is the problem. Any advice would be appreciated and I have a photo of him taken yesterday if needed.

Thank you.

Hi Emma and welcome.

To be honest it could be that he's off food due to an impending moult (which will come eventually so don't worry), he could be still a little unsettled and needs more time to get settled in (again nothing to worry about), or he could just have decided not to eat for a while as this species sometimes does.
    These spiders are a little unpredicatble in their behaviour so at the end of the day they end up teaching us how they want to be kept.
    If you could post your picture (and one of the tank its in as this has a direct effect on the behaviour of the spider sometimes) then i'm sure there'll be some more answers for you.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	94115Hi Colin

Thank you for replying. I have attached a photo of him. I haven't got a photo of his enclosure but it's a plastic Faunarium with a water bowl. The substrate is the kind where you add water and it expands (can't remember the name) and he has some bark as his hide (although he never really uses it). He does burrow a bit and as I said before, is very active.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Emma, welcome to the forum. As Colin says, they are unpredicatble to say the least, it's not unusual for them to go without food for a year or more. You refer to it as he, is it in fact a male? Chile's like their substrate on the dry side, the eco-earth you're using is fine, just offer it food weekly, take it out after 24-36 hrs if not eaten, but as long as it's active and digging is a good sign, then you probably have nothing much to worry about

Comment

My chile rose fasted for 9 months, ate 1 cricket a month ago now refuses to eat again... I dont worry as shes healthy, and this species are well known for it. Prior to the fast she had a huge binge and ate like clockwork. She hasnt moulted for a year so is well due one. Thats what im expecting soon...

Hope that helps a bit...
          David Attenborough:
          ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Hi Emma

Like many people, Grammostola rosea was my first spider, and about 8 years ago (the spider would have been about 10 years old or so at the time) it fasted for around 15 months. Try not to worry too much, it never did it before that and has never done it since, infact these days it's one of the most voracious feeders I own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Linda Street View Post
              Hi Emma, welcome to the forum. As Colin says, they are unpredicatble to say the least, it's not unusual for them to go without food for a year or more. You refer to it as he, is it in fact a male? Chile's like their substrate on the dry side, the eco-earth you're using is fine, just offer it food weekly, take it out after 24-36 hrs if not eaten, but as long as it's active and digging is a good sign, then you probably have nothing much to worry about
              Hi Linda. Thank you for your reply and no, I'm not certain he's a male. I'm calling him 'he' as I don't like calling him 'it'. I was told he was a male but I can't tell. Thank you, I am only offering him food once a week then taking it out when he doesn't eat it. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by K Smith View Post
                My chile rose fasted for 9 months, ate 1 cricket a month ago now refuses to eat again... I dont worry as shes healthy, and this species are well known for it. Prior to the fast she had a huge binge and ate like clockwork. She hasnt moulted for a year so is well due one. Thats what im expecting soon...

Hope that helps a bit...
                That does help, thank you Maybe my chile is due for a moult. Chile's are very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Lane View Post
                  Hi Emma

Like many people, Grammostola rosea was my first spider, and about 8 years ago (the spider would have been about 10 years old or so at the time) it fasted for around 15 months. Try not to worry too much, it never did it before that and has never done it since, infact these days it's one of the most voracious feeders I own.
                  Thank you, that puts my mind to rest He is active, digging and climbing so seems very healthy. Thank you.

Comment

Hi all

Just a quick update to let you know that my chile ate two crickets last night It was so interesting watching him feed and couldn't believe how fast he moved! Can't wait to see him eat again Thanks all.

Emma.

Comment

Working...
                    X