Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronunciation and translation

Hi.

Does anyone know where I can find an exhaustive list of both the phonetic pronunciation of scientific Tarantula names and the translation of their names I.E. Brachypelma Vagans = Short footed wanderer. I've found bits and bats on the internet but nothing that's complete.

P.S Does anyone else find themselves going to bed at night and then getting back up to take a peek at Tarantulas that only come out in the dead of night?! Guess I'm making a confession it's an act that always prompts the remark "you're obsessed" from my girlfriend heh heh

P.S Does anyone else find themselves going to bed at night and then getting back up to take a peek at Tarantulas that only come out in the dead of night?! Guess I'm making a confession it's an act that always prompts the remark "you're obsessed" from my girlfriend heh heh[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh!! Im exactly the same but so is my wife. Whenever i/we get up during the night im straight into the spider room with my headlamp to catch my Haplopelma L. Or my other burrowers sneaking about. At first my wife said its an obsession but she soon got hooked! and now its both our passion.

Sorry cant help with the first question though....

Cheers
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

here
      Pronunciation
      and here
      Meaning

hope that helps

Comment

Here is an audio list of the pronunciations LINK

Comment

To be honest pronunciation doesn't matter that much... in fact there was more dialect diversity in Latin, Greek and ancient Germanic that ever so we would probably have it all wrong now, I had three seperate latin teachers at school and they all had a different take on the pronunciation of the language.
          The scientific names are primarily there for exactness in the written word.
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
            To be honest pronunciation doesn't matter that much... in fact there was more dialect diversity in Latin, Greek and ancient Germanic that ever so we would probably have it all wrong now, I had three seperate latin teachers at school and they all had a different take on the pronunciation of the language.
            The scientific names are primarily there for exactness in the written word.
            excellent point mate!
            usually, if you've a vague idea of how you like to say it, there may be little moments of confusion when you're talking to others (and tongue twisting if you're like me...Coremiocnemus sounds great in my head til i try to say it out loud!) but usually people can work out what you're talking about, and that's the main point of it all!
            so whatever sounds best to you is probably as good as what sounds good to someone else.
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thats exactly the kind of link I was looking for. Much appreciated!!

Comment

Yup! i'll second that, great link's, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X