Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a newbie with a Chile Rose

Hello everyone!

After thinking about getting a T. for a while i went with my girlfriend to the BTS show yesterday (which was excellent!) and purchased a female chile rose (she had previously layed an egg sack). I asked as many questions as possible at the time so that i could give her the best possible conditions, but as always forgot to ask a few important ones.

As from advice from a seller, she is on a mixture of peat-coconut, has a small upside down flower pot (with a hole chipped out near the rim to act as an entrance) a small dish of water, and some dry moss (??) to act as bedding.

She seems vary nervous (it was along car journey), and is trying to hide behind the pot rather than venture into it. Should i lie the pot on it's side so that it is easier for her to get into??

I also bought some large black crickets for her. How do you get these things out of their containers without the whole lot making a break for freedom?? Also how do you catch one?? At the moment we managed to give her one last night (using tweezers) but that went straight for the pot, so she is now living outside the pot and the cricket is inside!!!

Does this all sound normal?? Should i put any more crickets in tonight??

All advice greatly welcomed..

Adam

Definately lay the pot on it's side, possibly with a bit of the substrate in it so it can dig it out if it wants.
    And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

HI Bob.
      Put the crix in the fridge for about 15/20 mins and they should slow right down. Grammostola rosea/Chilean rose can be funny so and so's! At times they will eat heaps then they may not eat for months on end. If she doesnt eat her food within 24 hours you can remove it and try again in a couple of days, she could be ready for a moult and therefore will not eat before hand. How big is she and what size is the tank? If a spider is in a tank a little too big sometimes they get a little nervous and wont eat coz they cant find it!
      The best thing you could do is leave her in her tank, after it is all nice for her, and let her chill out. She will be pretty stressed right now.
      Any more questions you have come to the right place as there are lots of lovely knowledgeable people here Good luck and let us know how she is doin. x

Comment

Cheers for the replies.

I popped back at lunch and sorted her hide out (broke the pot in half and lay it on its side to give her a small cave). She is about 4 inches. She was quite active when i got home so i think she is ok. I am trying to avoid stressing her as much as possible so that will be the last time i move anything in her tank for a while.

I will let you know how she progresses!

Comment

When feeding your tarantula,

Hello there. I find the best time to feed these little devils is just before bed. it's just when they are waking up and therefore they seem to have a little more energy. As for catching the black crickets; I find it best just to grab one with your thumb and finger. Trying to catch one with twesers must have been a nightmare.

The Chilen Rose is a very hardy spider so there is no need for constant round the clock watch. They can handle all that most newbies have to offer

One more pointer I can give you is to make sure they always have water in a dish.... a dish that is not too deep mind you. And when it is time for your spider to shed it's skin (when it lays on its back with its legs in the air) always remove any food.

See you round,

Matt

Comment

Working...
          X