Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please - P.Regalis

Hey guys,

I bought a P.regalis at the BTS Exhibition on 22nd May. I brought it home and put the tub he was in, inside of the ready made enclosure (see pics). He came out that evening on his own accord and the climbed up the cork bark and into the 'living side'. I havnt seen it since! I open to renew the water and to mist when needed. All that it has done is completely block itself in with webbing and substrate. I have broken the webbing this week to check its ok. It looks fine. Abdomens fine and it moved fine when disturbed. I looked again this morning and he's redone the webbing 'block' so I cant see it.

Just want to know is this normal behaviour for these? I have an ornata and that one is usually seen at night roaming round. That also has made a sort of funnel for itself but it comes out for food. I have tried putting cricks on both sides of the enclosure for the regalis but no response. I tried with locusts too but nothing. Never moves, refuses food and hides away??

The regalis is about 9cm legspan, (ill try to get a pic up when i can see it).

Any ideas thoughts suggestions welcome

Cheers
    !Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-11 10.33.11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	96119Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-11 10.33.49.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	96116Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-11 10.34.00.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	96118Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-11 10.33.42.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	96117
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

The only time any of my Poecilotheria web to any degree is prior to a molt.
    Mine are kept in the same containers as yours but mine have a kitchen roll tube as a home which is hot glued to one end the other end has the waterdish on a substate of peat which I keep on the dry side and mist maybe twice a week. All eat like pigs and grow like weeds quite scarey when they come out from a molt as they seem twice as big!!!!
    Im sure your P.regalis is ok just let her do what she needs to although its so tempting to have a poke (no pun intended lol) around
    ChrisS.

Comment

Seems like pre-moulting behaviour to me also ... they can tend to burrow when small rather than make hammocks or seal off web tubes .. try not to disturb much and see what happens in a week or so.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

When mine was around this size, I observed the same behaviour. She moulted and stayed hidden away inside her cocoon web. never ate or came out for around 4 month where she had moulted again!!! I upgraded her tank as she had doubled in size and now she has rarely webbed anything, apart from a light covering at the hide entrance. I know it is hard to resist temptation but I agree with Colin about not disturbing her...
        “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Right thatl do me. Thanks for the advice its reassured me. Ill check back in a couple of weeks and update you on any events!
          David Attenborough:
          ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Just letting you know that iv just come back off hols and my pokie has moulted! Shes now eating ok and everythings fine
            David Attenborough:

Comment

these spiders like to test our nerves don't they? hahaha
              “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

I think the only improvement I'd consider with your enclosure is to tilt the cork forward at the top to decrease the gap at the top. I often find the webbing is due to an upcoming moult and/or a desire to create small areas of cover. Having a small entrance to a bulbus bottom seems to be a good hide for pokies IMO.
                My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Working...
                X