Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a new Brachypelma smithi

Hi

Have had a Brachypelma smithi for last 3 days, at first was extremly Docile though in last few days he has become very nervous and is flicking hairs at the slightest movement including the removal of his lid when trying to feed/mist tank and replace water

Is there anything I can do to calm him down abit, he is currently in a large cricket tub as pet shop said he is still too small to put in a terranium (bout 8-10cm)

Any help appreciated fairly new to Tarantulas also own a 4-5cm Nhandu chromatus who im having no problems or concerns with again kept in same size tub and seems pretty happy with his home at moment

cheers in advance

Simon Brown

You have had the smithi for 3 days and you are already trying to feed it and spray it ?!

Leave it alone for AT LEAST 7 days.
    By this I mean do NOT touch, open or disturb the cricket tub in any way shape or form FOR ANY REASON.
    Forget that you have it.

At around 4 inches it is definately large enough to put in any size housing that you like. Personly i wouldnt put it into anything bigger than a 12in x 12in but that decision is yours and yours alone.

There is NO need to mist a Brachy smithi at all, at any time, for any reason.
    A slight overfill for the water bowl will create a damp corner area if it needs a humid spot.

Of the 100+ T's that i have, only one has a water bowl (milk carton top) and that is ONLY because it hasnt eaten in several months, as all my spiders get their moisture from the juicey roaches and crickets they get.

Comment

Thanks for your response, Yeah I have fed it a few crickets and at mo have been putting in a moist ball of tissue instead of a small water bowl, as directed by pet store, I haven't sprayed the substrate as was told only really needed a light misting once a month

Glad I have come to people who know better and more experienced, will follow your advise to the letter

So just to Clarify my Brachy smithi doesnt require ANY misting ever and does not require a water bowl or similiar

Many thanks for your response and advise

Comment

A cotton wool ball is probably THE worst thing i can think of to put into a spiders container bar NONE.

As i dont use water bowls isnt any reason for you to not use one.
        I've been keeping T's for over 30 years so I'm a little bit more experienced than you LOL
        I would suggest that you use a small shallow water bowl (3in diameter ?) and slightly overfill it once a week so that the corner where it is has a damp area surounding it.

Comment

Working...
        X