Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small observation - Selenocosmia javanensis

Hi,
    this isn't adding anything new, as most people understand that a spider needs time to settle down and set up shop when re-housed. this is just my own recent observation to add to the data.

I bought a Selenocosmia javanensis from The Spider Shop recently, and i'd be an ungrateful sort if i didn't also do a spot of advertising here. Lee has priced these very low for what they are, and they don't show up fantastically in pictures, but these spiders are beautiful. mine is in need of a moult, and still she has amazing subtle colouration and grace of form, and is also a pretty decent size! i would fully recommend these!!!

when she first arrived, she was incredibly defensive. my first sight of her, she went into a panicky threat display, and when i didn't go away, she darted under her bark as soon as possible.

she's had a few weeks now to settle in and eat lots of food, and her behaviour is now entirely different. she will sit perfectly still (under the illusion this makes her invisible) and wait for me to leave. she is obviously now accustomed to her surroundings enough to feel like she is camouflaged and thus safe...with a safe hide to duck under if danger persists.

also, she's eaten alot and put on a decent amount of weight, so it's possible hunger made her excitable, too. i always offer a housewarming cricket or two if i can, as the spider usually grabs the prey and starts laying down silk, which is a good way for her to make the area feel like home.

these are excitable spiders, but as i always like to say, they are in no way aggressive (except to food). they are far more scared of us than we are of them, and would always rather run and hide than fight.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Thanks James for the info. Iv been looking at those on their website and was really tempted. Think ill go ahead and get one now
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Originally posted by K Smith View Post
      Thanks James for the info. Iv been looking at those on their website and was really tempted. Think ill go ahead and get one now
      to quote Arnie: "doo iit! doo iit nowwww!"
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by James Box View Post
        to quote Arnie: "doo iit! doo iit nowwww!"
        Lol Arnie what a legend Well iv just had my monthly delivery/fix from the spider shop, of 10 Lasiodora parahybana slings and an Acanthoscurria geniculata juvi, gorgeous btw, and a Paraphysa scrofa today so Selenocosmia javanensis is on the list for the next purchase!
        David Attenborough:
        ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

he is a legend indeed!

crikey...are you sure that's enough L parahybana's?
          nice one, also P scrofa is an underrated gem of a spider.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Yeah you get a discount buying groups of 5!! Haha. Fed them today on (pre killed) mini mealworms and iv never seen slings go for their food so aggressivly! Was amazing! One actually pulled the worm about an inch away to eat it. Strong for 1cm slings!

Yeah i thought to go for something different so went for the scrofa. Little beauty. My wife likes the 'calm' Ts.

Did you get the adult or juvi javanensis from TSS website?
            Cheers!
            David Attenborough:

Comment

ah yes the discount! they are great feeders and fun to own right up til adulthood!

scrofa are pretty calm, but mine is rather assertive lol

adult, and yes TSS
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
              X