concerned over haplopelma lividum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concerned over haplopelma lividum

hi everyone just need some help here. i know the colbalt blue is rarely seen out in the open but i have heard there really good eaters. trouble is i've been having to fish out the food items the next day where they've not been eaten. the set up is ok as far as i know the temp sits at around 75 to 80 the same as the humidity. i feed extra large crickets and roaches but just haven't been able to tempt it to eat. it's well settled as it's made tunnels and filled the entrance of it's hide with substrate and web. is there any need for concern or should i just leave it be which is what i'd rather do and thats only because i cant see where it is. i dont particularly want to start prodding around unless it's absolutely necessary.

I have 2 of these little devils... one has made an intricate tunnel system and readily eats pray items, the other refuses to burrow and has not took food since november/december (last thing she ate was a male though)... They are both in exactly the same tanks with the same kind and depth of substrate at exactly the same temp and humidity... Just different personalities I guess.
    “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

cheers for that lee. i guess i'll just leave it alone and see how it goes not that you can do to much about it anyway. thanks again for your help lee o and by the way sorry you lost your male.

Comment

How often are you feeding it ?
        If you are feeding XL crickets, I would feed one every 2 to 3 weeks but if it hasnt been feeding for only a short period perhaps it coming up for a moult.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
          if it hasnt been feeding for only a short period perhaps it coming up for a moult.
          My thoughts too.

How long have you had it? When did it last eat?

If it's made a burrow and has webbed up the entrance, I would be tempted to say it's fine. All the evidence is leaning towards an upcoming moult. One of mine started refusing food about 3 weeks ago and has done exactly the same as yours.

Jamie.
          My Collection:

Comment

hi pete i feed my t's twice a week. prehaps your right it could be coming up for a molt the trouble is you can never see them to find out whats going on. if anything happens in the near future i'll let you know. thanks for your help pete.

Comment

hi there jamie i've had the t about 4 months now and it stopped eating 3 weeks ago aprox.but as you say prehaps everything is fine it's just that this is my first old world tarantula and i have much to learn about them. are you still trying to tempt yours with food or are you going to leave it for a while. by the way thanks for your help jamie.

Comment

It sounds like it's going to moult.

Mine refused a roach about 3 weeks ago. I tried again a week later with the same result. I haven't tried since and I won't again until she moults. She's completely sealed in. Now we wait

Jamie
                My Collection:

Comment

Leave it for a couple weeks and see what happens. I had same experience with a regalis a month back. I left it alone on advice from here and sure enough it moulted.

I bought my lividum as an adult female and shes never burrowed or even attempted but eats fine and is really healthy. She uses a 'cave' i made for her though but half the times shes out in the open and roams about looking for food at night. Dont worry. Like he others said leave it and see what happens.
                  David Attenborough:
                  ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

wished mine was like that it would make thing's a bit more easy to deal with. i think i'll leave him/ her alone a couple of weeks and see what happens. thanks for your help and advise

Comment

Working...
                    X