Sperm Longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sperm Longevity

I was just wondering if there is any data available on the longevity of sperm once stored in the males pedipalp bulb? I ask because I have MM Grammostola rosea RCF who I have paired with a female four days ago (multiple insertions were witnessed). I expected that he may of made a fresh sperm web by now if he had deposited his sperm he had stored previously. I have had the male for about a month an a half now and have yet to witness him create a sperm web, I don't think he is a particularly old male as he still looks to be in good nick so to speak.

Cheers
    Chris

In my expereince a male will often store the sperm until he has a suitable mate on offer. Often the sperm may not be transfered during mating and the male will not make another web for sometime.
    I have seen males go months between webs and often after making a sperm web will destroy it completely making it difficult to see. The tell tale sign is pure white web.

Hope this helps

Ray
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Its also possible that he may have made a sperm web and then completely destroyed it just leaving a little white "pearl like" ball lying around on the substrate, this has been observed by some hobbyists in the past.
      Could be something to do with not leaving evidence of his location to predators maybe ???
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I know what you both mean about the male discarding the web after he has charged his palps. I must say I have seen that behavior from quite a few MM's over time, although there is no sign at all of any webbing from this particular male. I shall carry on keeping a close eye on him.

Cheers,
        Chris

Comment

Working...
        X