Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this poecilotheria a rufilata?

Hi

I bought 5 poecilotheria rufilata a year ago as slings. But 1 of them strikes me as not being a rufilata because of strange colours on the legs. The T in question is approx 10cm in legspan.(3.9inch)

Here you can see the T´s ventrally;

And here is some pictures of my rufilata;

Maybe not the best pics, but he/she was hard to work with today. But the blue is very clear blue when you give it lights. But leg III and IV are blue on femur and patella, and as you can see on the 2 links, they are not supposed to be blue there, only on legs I femur, and a little on the pedipalps.

Anyone who can help me ID this poecilotheria correctly?
    I cant see where it belongs, looks like a crossbreed with p metallica, but i that is probably not true, becuase beside this oddity, it looks rufilata all the way.

Hi ThomAs,

From your pictures, it does look like rufilata - but if you can provide better photos (for example in a clear box rather than one that is semi-opaque) we stand a much better chance of doing so.
    sigpic

Comment

I will try and clean a enclosure i have as reserve, it might provide better pictures
      I knew they were not so good, and that is why i tried to explain where it is blue, but english is not my native language;(

Comment

I dont think my camera can do better than this;

Comment

Is that a trick of the light Thomas or is your spider blue?
          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
            Is that a trick of the light Thomas or is your spider blue?
            No tricks here. I dont fool arund with these things as i breed them amongst others
            They are clear blue as in the picture here, but they are not supposed to be blue on leg III and VI.

Comment

Then I'd say you have a P. metallica, the leg patterning is right as well as the colour. If you can do a close up of the epigastric furrow I'll have a go at sexing it too (though from this distance I'd say female).

Comment

tee-hee
                That's exactly where the blue is supposed to be. You have P. rufilata

Its worth noting P. metallica don't have the 2nd band of yellow on the femur

Here's one of mine:
                Last edited by Peter Lacey; 20-07-11, 07:46 PM. Reason: 2nd yellow band
                My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Thomas; that's perfectly adequate.
                  Peter - spot on with that; definitely rufilata.
                  You'd be surprised how very iridescent the black bands can be on most of the Poecilotheria.
                  Nicola; definitely not metallica - for the reasons Peter gave above.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanx guys, much appricate the feedback

It was this site that made me a little in doubt http://www.froschlurche.de/Poecilotheria-ventral.jpg and that my other rufilatas the same size dont have the blue on them.
                    Last edited by Thomas Jessen; 20-07-11, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Sorry about the mistake! Its the colour that threw me, none of mine have had blue on them either. Sorry again.

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
                        Sorry about the mistake! Its the colour that threw me, none of mine have had blue on them either. Sorry again.
                        No worries...Life would not be so exciting if we allways is right

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Jessen View Post
                          I will try and clean a enclosure i have as reserve, it might provide better pictures
                          I knew they were not so good, and that is why i tried to explain where it is blue, but english is not my native language;(
                          Rufilata do have some amazing blues on the underside of the fibia

This is a side shot of one a my Adult Females you can clearly see the blue altho the pic is not great sorry!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	blueruf1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	94184

Comment

Ok, good to know, i would hate to breed a hybrid, even if it was unintentional.

Comment

Working...
                            X