Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie G. pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) Questions

Hello everyone,

Just got a Chaco Golden Knee female (I named her Zelda). From what my limited knowledge can discern I'd say she's young adult.

I'm new to the hobby and this is my first tarantula so naturally I've got some questions about whether or not I've been caring/accommodating her in the right way.

I've got her in a 5 gallon terrarium that's currently measuring ~76 degrees F and 70% humidity. Approximately 3 inches of substrate throughout the tank with the exception of the hiding place I got her, which has about 4 inches of substrate below it. For substrate I'm using dried out eco-earth. I have a small heating pad on the left side of the tank (the side with her water bowl). I got her on Saturday and the breeder told me she's been eating around 2-3 crickets two times a week; she told me to try and feed her today (tonight) and if she didn't eat any/all of the crickets take the live ones out after about 6 hours.

Right now she's sitting on the glass wall facing me and hasn't moved from that position for at least a few hours. Is this normal? My understanding tells me that it is.

Basically, I'm just wondering if this setup is alright and healthy for her. Will she be happy here? Is there anything I could do better? Are those conditions favorable for this species? My research tells me yes but I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and/or input. I've attached pictures of her taken yesterday afternoon.

Thanks,

-Simon

Click image for larger version

Name:	286855_2100529587997_1088130465_32178963_4233229_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	96151

Click image for larger version

Name:	286685_2100529908005_1088130465_32178964_2134072_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	96152
    My Spiders:
    -Female
    Grammostola pulchripes (Named Zelda)

You normally get this sort of behaviour when you've just put new substrate in the tank and it's a little too damp for the spider ... though you say you're using "dried out" eco earth ???
    This genus really prefer the dryer set-ups (maybe with one corner dampened occasionally to just tip the humidity up a little from time to time)

Is she hugging the heat mat at all ?? I wouldn't have imagined so as the temps there should be ok also, if she is then it's possible it's a little cooler than she would prefer.

I think the only thing i would change in the set up is move the water bowl over to the cool side then let her settle in fully (you could add more substrate if you wish to give her the oportunity to have a good old dig and burrow around if she so desires)

Let us know how she gets on Simon
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks for the reply Colin.

I just got back from work and found her hugging the heat pad. She appears to have burrowed down a bit too, right where the heating pad is. I'm assuming she did that to more fully expose it but right how she's on the surface. The temp. in there is 75 degrees F. right now so I'm surprised she appears cold, but what do I know right? I put a small heat lamp next to the cage just to raise it's temperature slightly (up to 80 max I'd say?).

The other thing I was wondering regards the humidity in her enclosure. It's a rainy, sticky day here today and the humidity in her enclosure is reading 80%. Is this going to make her uncomfortable? Also, what are some ways to lower the humidity??

Thanks again,

Simon
      My Spiders:
      -Female

Comment

They'll do ok at 75 but higher (80 ish) would be better in the long run.

If she's hugging the heat then she's telling you she's too cold (so yeah, what do we know )

They don't seem to like it or do well in too humid conditions ... the best way to cure this is to just let the whole tank dry out fully, then make sure you have enough ventilation so as it doesn't get too humid again when you add water (to the bowl or a substrate corner)
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

I've managed to get her tank temp. to stabilize at ~80 or so degrees. She's now sitting perched on the top part of her flower pot half.

The humidity is reading ~75% and I just put a fan facing the tank on the other side of the room. From across the room it's a gentle breeze that I'm hoping will keep the air in the tank circulating.

Thanks Colin.
          My Spiders:
          -Female

Comment

Hey guys,

Got a few more questions concerning my G. pulchripes (Zelda).

Firstly, I fed her two crickets on Tuesday (Thur. night now) and I have been scanning the tank for prey remains but I simply cannot find any! Am I not looking hard enough or is it possible that she ate the entire cricket?

Also, she appears to be grooming only her (if your facing her eyes) back left leg and second-to-back left leg. She is bringing the legs up to her "mouth" and applying water to the leg. She then rubs her abdomen and repeats. Is this a sign of fungal growth? Should I be worried??? I really hope I haven't screwed anything up, as I have been obsessive about her care and comfort, and she seemed to be getting much more comfortable with her enclosure.

*EDIT: I just checked her again, and naturally as soon as the post went through I observed her starting to clean her other legs. She seems to be just grooming normally now, but if anyone could offer some insight I'm definitely still interested. She was cleaning only those two legs for approx. 1hr and 1/2. Thanks.

Any advice/experience on these matters would be very helpful.

Thanks,

-Simon
            Last edited by Simon Watson; 12-08-11, 04:55 AM.
            My Spiders:
            -Female

Comment

Also, she appears to be grooming only her (if your facing her eyes) back left leg and second-to-back left leg. She is bringing the legs up to her "mouth" and applying water to the leg. She then rubs her abdomen and repeats. Is this a sign of fungal growth? Should I be worried???
              Dont you have a monthly wash and scrub up ? LOL

STOP FUSSING

Comment

Thats one of the joys in keeping these creatures watching them clean themselves down.
                Try a torch to find cricket remains as the light reflects off any exoskeleton there might be left but sometimes there just is nothing to find.
                As Pete says stop fussing because if you look for something wrong you might find it (joke) Just have fun and enjoy her.
                By the way my G.pulchripes molted 10 days ago and she got fed tonight
                ChrisS.
                Last edited by Christopher Smallman; 12-08-11, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Lol, thanks very much for the feedback guys, am very anxious to be a good caretaker, apparently too much so. Perhaps this is how my parents felt raising me! :P

Congrats Chris, glad to hear your spider is happy and healthy after her molt!

-Simon
                  My Spiders:
                  -Female

Comment

Working...
                  X