Sow bugs / Woodlice in your T's cage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sow bugs / Woodlice in your T's cage?

Was reading a book today called "Tarantulas and Other Invertebrates." Book was originally published in '96, just blanking on the authors name right now. In the chapter I was reading today the author talks about keeping sow bugs (Woodlice) in his T's cage as pest control. Apparently they emit a smell or pheremone or something that deters the spiders from eating them. The author claims you can take these bugs from your garden and put them in the T's cage and they will eat fungi and other potentially harmful parasites in the cage, AND the spider won't eat them.Was wondering if anyone had experience with this could perhaps shed some light on this? Is this legit or is it a speculation without proven empirical data? Very interested to find out.Thanks,-Simon
    My Spiders:
    -Female
    Grammostola pulchripes (Named Zelda)

It is a very common practice to put garden woodlice into Spider tanks to act as a clean up crew.

Comment

I've used woodlice before. Although I tend to find my spiders eat them. My adults don't, but my spiderlings and juveniles do, so I tend not to bother as most of my T's are around the 4cm mark. I do use springtails in all my arboreal enclosures though. They tend to keep things nice and clean.

Personally I wouldn't use anything from your garden. There's no way of telling if they are carrying any pesticides. www.Dartfrog.co.uk do colonies for £4.99.

Jamie
      My Collection:

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the replies Peter and Jamie.
        My Spiders:
        -Female
        Grammostola pulchripes (Named Zelda)

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post

Personally I wouldn't use anything from your garden. There's no way of telling if they are carrying any pesticides.
          There is a very simple and effective way of knowing if they are carring pesticides.
          That is you ! ! !
          If you or your neigbours have ever used pesticides then dont use woodlice from the garden.
          If you or your neigbours have never used pesticides then I would use woodlice from the garden.
          Simples ! ! ! LOL

Comment

Use Trichorina a tropicl woodlouse, these are very small and dont disturp the spiders as big garden woodlice would

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Watson View Post
              Was reading a book today called "Tarantulas and Other Invertebrates." Book was originally published in '96, just blanking on the authors name right now. In the chapter I was reading today the author talks about keeping sow bugs (Woodlice) in his T's cage as pest control. Apparently they emit a smell or pheremone or something that deters the spiders from eating them. The author claims you can take these bugs from your garden and put them in the T's cage and they will eat fungi and other potentially harmful parasites in the cage, AND the spider won't eat them.Was wondering if anyone had experience with this could perhaps shed some light on this? Is this legit or is it a speculation without proven empirical data? Very interested to find out.Thanks,-Simon
              There are lots of discussions on this and all other forums. Learn to use the <Search> function in the upper right of this page. Use any of these search terms: woodlice, rolie-polies, sow bugs, sowbugs, pill bugs, pillbugs, isopod, and Isopoda. Put on another pot of coffee or pour yourself a fresh glass, cup, flagon, etc. of your favorite beverage. You have a lot of reading to do.

Enjoy both your little 8-legged and your little 10-legged buddies!
              The Tarantula Whisperer!
              Stan Schultz
              Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
              Private messaging is turned OFF!
              Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                There is a very simple and effective way of knowing if they are carring pesticides.
                That is you ! ! !
                If you or your neigbours have ever used pesticides then dont use woodlice from the garden.
                If you or your neigbours have never used pesticides then I would use woodlice from the garden.
                Simples ! ! ! LOL
                Actually, bugs can travel miles. There is no certain way of telling whether or not they are carrying anything. Best not to take the risk in my opinion. But to each their own.

Jamie
                My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                X