Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brachypelma vagans - do not eat for over 3-4 months, abdomen looks weird

HI Guys,

My T do not eat for couple of months now, been feeding it, with Dubia Roaches, found them usually wondering around stil alive after few hours, and couple of times just dead. thought maybe they dislike them so bought Loctus. still didint eat them. and He seems to have strange looking abdomen and one of the legs, no hair, as you can see in attached photos.

Any help please.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is it a mature male?

Comment

I got him almost a yeat ago, and i was told he is not a mature male

Comment

Hi
        How long have you had him?
        Did he eat or drink at all during that time?

The leg looks like a moult mishap to me.
        Idd abdomen looks kind of flat on the side which could be from lack of food but diff to say really.

Perhaps ICU him for a while?
        Last edited by Min Nina; 13-09-11, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I have him for almost a year now,

He was eating fine and drinks from the bowl all the time, just stop to eat almost four months ago, but he drinks still.
          he did not molt since i got him, and leg was ok when i got him.
          thanks

Comment

Okay. My assumption about the leg was because it looks like it was broken somehow between the foot and the first joint, which is also sth that can easily happen during moult.

But if that's not the case the only thing I can think of is perhaps he had a bad fall inside the enclosure? Which might also explain the shape of the abdomen..
            Can't say if it's a sever injury though, but if he does drink perhaps it means it's minor and you could just wait and see if he pushes for a fast moult.

I would recommend you not having things that he can climb on though seeing it's a ground living species and they don't climb well..
            Nor have things that are hard cuz if they do climb they easily fall down. Alternatively fill upp the enclosure with lots of substrate to keep the climbing height to a minimum.

Comment

Hi,

as i suspected, he felt, I've noticed him climbing on the glass few times(not well thought)

i will probably change his enclosure to something with less high and provide only water dish and some hideout for him, with bit of coconut bark chips, and vermiculite at the base, what you reckon is it good idea?

hope he will start eat again and molt soon(its been almost a year without it) i am very worried about him.

thank you for your help, much appreciated

Comment

No Problem. I'm happy to try.

Changing the environment to what you described is a good idea imo. Think spiders aren't too picky with fancy furnishing anyway (atleast mine aren't :P)

And I totally sympathise with your worries but I think there is little you can do other than keep a watchful eye and be prepared.
                Assuming there was a fall with internal injuries to the abdomen I reckon since he's still alive after a few months hopefully it is minor and he can self recover given time
                but worst case scenario you'll have to freeze him. Moult will prolly be a real trial which judging by the pink skin on his butt won't occur for some time yet.
                As they grow larger moulting cycles slows down so I wouldn't worry about that (or the broken leg). I think once a year is good for an adult. Some are a little faster some are waaay slower.

Best you can do is just try keeping the enclosure and water dish clean. Have a nice temperature and mist it regularily to keep the level of humidity even.

As he seems like a really tough lil fella I hope he will come through for you.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thank you for your help, will keep an eye on Him, hope i will not have to freeze him

cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by Min Nina View Post
                    Hi
                    How long have you had him?
                    Did he eat or drink at all during that time?

The leg looks like a moult mishap to me.
                    Idd abdomen looks kind of flat on the side which could be from lack of food but diff to say really.

Perhaps ICU him for a while?
                    An ICU will do more bad than good. The ICU is a arachnoboard fenomenon and has probably killed more spiders than it have saved. For an ex. a specie from an extremly dry habitat Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens will suffer enormous amounts of stress when they are taken from their "safe house" and put into a unfamiliar and super humid container. An icu can only possible help super dehydrated spiders that normaly lives in wet habitats other wise a slight increase of humidity and a water bowl would be the best.

Comment

I disagree although not sure what you're suggesting an ICU is. If you look closely at the entire thread though the last post proposes to leave things more or less as they are, cept for some refurnishing.
                      To my experiance Brachy's aren't too easily stressed if handled with care. Neither have they the need for a 'safe house' at all times. Mine are happy to sit in the open despite housing and good amount of substrate to dig in.

Besides why would you make the ICU superhumid if there isn't a moulting or dehydration problem to begin with?
                      ICU is to have a sterile as possible environment while monitoring the spider much more intensely than you could with it stuck in its 'safe house'.
                      Moving it once is way better than having to dig it out once every hr/day/week depending on owners level of insecurity and worry.
                      Turning your house insideout on a regular basis would freak anyone out me thinks.

Of course water and something soft and easily exchanged for it to sit on should be provided even in an ICU...
                      No rocket scientist is needed to figure these things out.

Originally posted by JensFalk View Post
                      An ICU will do more bad than good. The ICU is a arachnoboard fenomenon and has probably killed more spiders than it have saved. For an ex. a specie from an extremly dry habitat Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens will suffer enormous amounts of stress when they are taken from their "safe house" and put into a unfamiliar and super humid container. An icu can only possible help super dehydrated spiders that normaly lives in wet habitats other wise a slight increase of humidity and a water bowl would be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Min Nina View Post
                        I disagree although not sure what you're suggesting an ICU is. If you look closely at the entire thread though the last post proposes to leave things more or less as they are, cept for some refurnishing.
                        To my experiance Brachy's aren't too easily stressed if handled with care. Neither have they the need for a 'safe house' at all times. Mine are happy to sit in the open despite housing and good amount of substrate to dig in.

Besides why would you make the ICU superhumid if there isn't a moulting or dehydration problem to begin with?
                        ICU is to have a sterile as possible environment while monitoring the spider much more intensely than you could with it stuck in its 'safe house'.
                        Moving it once is way better than having to dig it out once every hr/day/week depending on owners level of insecurity and worry.
                        Turning your house insideout on a regular basis would freak anyone out me thinks.

Of course water and something soft and easily exchanged for it to sit on should be provided even in an ICU...
                        No rocket scientist is needed to figure these things out.
                        Talking of my own and others experience (7yrs and aprox 70 theraphosids through the years) How can you say that your so called "Brachy" isnt being stressed from handeling? Stress in not always visual!

Comment

Okay I must confess I am a bit curious to how you know their level of stress if it's 'not visible'...
                          And I do appologise for not being so picky posh about spelling out the full scientific names of my spiders.

I accidentally thought this thread was about discussing different ways to aid Damian in his concern for his spider and isn't really interested in comparing who is more of a spider expert.
                          Although I don't believe time and numbers of species is what makes one knowledgeble. I still consider myself a newbie despite keeping them for over 10yrs.

Also I am allowed to disagree with what you write based on my experiance.

Comment

Working...
                          X