A question about the Health of a T Blondi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about the Health of a T Blondi

I went to one of the local aquarium/reptile shops yesterday to purchase some food for my collection of reptiles and inverts, now,, i specifically went to this particular shop as my wife had visited it and said they had some T's for sale, with of course the prospect of buying another T along with some food. I walked into the shop feeling a little excited, sure as eggs is eggs there was an OBT, Chilean rose, and T Blondi, i could feel the cash melting right through my pocket...i had a good look at them and noted that the T Blondi wasn't looking so good and was £103...eeek i thought this was a little expensive given it didn’t look so good..

Ok before i go down on a rescue mission, if i could describe what i saw i hope that my description may be enough to give you all an idea if its worth trying to bring it back to good health...

The tank
    its glass about 1ft cubed with a wire mesh on top, i couldn't see a heat mat, i am thinking it may be underneath...the substrate was sphagnum moss but looked dry, there was no facility for the T to burrow or hide and the substrate was no way deep enough to anyway, there was no hygrometer or temperature sensors of any kind,, from what i could tell there was not adequate humidity as i could see no water condensing on the glass...

The T Blondi
    Ok, first, it looked active but i believe this was because it was trying to find some where to hide it kept trying to climb the glass, the T is approx 4", it hadn’t eaten for three weeks, which was when it emerged from its last molt according to the lady who was working in the shop, she said “it just isn’t interested in food” ...now...the abdomen was going very bald, the skin was very pink on the baldest parts but the boundary where the hair was falling out seem quite red and irritated, even slightly flaky. I would say about 65% of the abdomen was bald however the rest of the T didn’t seem to exhibit the same problem....and this is only three weeks after its molt....apparently it was bald before the molt.....the other two Ts did look well enough although the set-up was much the same I.e. for display purposes and shop owners didnt seem to have a clue about this condition

i know the set-up is incorrect but From my description does anybody have any ideas why its in the condition that it is ?? could it be some kind of mite? is it because of the environment? could it be stress? any help would be most appreciated as i would like to give it a good home along side my T Stirmi.....with a price negotiation of course....

Manythanks
    Last edited by Aragorn Davies; 25-09-11, 09:12 PM.

I had similar situation wth a T.Stirmi. A mate of mine had one in a bone dry funarium and 4 of its legs couldnt bend and they sounded like bone china when it walk on a hard surface. By the time i had finished telling him how bad the T was he gave it to me out of shameHere is a pic
    Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	94208Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	94209Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	94210

I moved her to a tank and kept the humidity up and fed her twice and left her as she was a bit fat. Her spinnerets were damaged also so when it came to moult time she did it standing upright and here she is now

Click image for larger version

Name:	074.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	94211Click image for larger version

Name:	075.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	94212

Im sure you can help her recover with care and attention. Explain to the shop that its in bad shape and offer them £50 for it.

good luck

Comment

Those top pictures look remarkably like the T in the shop, the abdomen is probably slightly worse in your shots...this is excellent and i can see from the bottom pictures that she has made a good recovery, which is encouraging....

Thanks for sharing this, i feel like i have at least some hope to recover the poor thing and have an excellent point to barter with.

Comment

Working...
      X