Help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!!

Hi all,i have a pamphobeteous 'ecuador2' which had a disastrous molt on Sunday night. I checked on her on Monday morning before i went to work and i thought she was just sitting upright on top of the shed skin.When i got home last night i had a closer look and she had 2 legs and a pedipalp stuck in the old skin. I put a couple of drops of dish washing detergent in some water and applied it with a cotton bud to the stuck limbs and added a second water dish to increase humidity. I checked on her this morning and there was no change so i applied some more weak detergent/water mix to the joints and went to work. I've just checked on her again on returning from work and she's no better. I've been keeping tarantulas for 2 years now and i've never experienced this before and i really need some advice on what to do. It's really distressing to see her this way,i feel so powerless. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried cutting away the parts of the moult that are not stuck to her and just leaving the stuck parts ?

Comment

Thanks for replying Peter. I haven't yet as i wanted to get some advice on here first.The trouble is the 2 legs that are stuck have only shed about half way down the femurs.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, JD.I've had partial success with glycerin applied in the same way - one leg was extracted but the other remained stuck in the exuvium. I got her to shed the affected limb by grasping the femur firmly and suddenly with a pair of forceps and giving a tug. (Think small rodent grasping at food).Not a pleasant experience and one I hope I won't have to repeat.Two successful moults later and the leg's regrowing nicely.Good luck, mate.Dave

Comment

Hi Dave and thanks for the good luck wishes i think i need it! I've had a nightmare this evening,I tried to trim away some of the old skin so that she could move a bit more freely and i accidently cut the trapped pedipalp! I had a panic look through my spider books and decided that i needed to force her to autonomise it to stop her bleeding to death. It was as you say 'not pleasant' and i hope i've done the right thing. I don't think i could do it again with the legs i just hope she decides to remove them herself if she finds them troublesome.

Comment

Hi it sounds as if you did the right thing. She may have pulled the skin of herself . I have know them sit for days with skin still attached. Forcing her to shed a leg is never pleasant but she should be ok. I had a Chile Rose drop a leg last week when she got it caught in the lid she was trying to push off.

Try not to worry Im sure she will be OK

Ray
            British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
            The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
            On
            [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Working...
            X