Unexpected egg sack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected egg sack.

I've been keeping spiders for about eight years and usually raise them up from spiderlings. I was tempted by my local shop to buy an older chile rose and at the week-end was greeted by the sight of my new spider protecting an egg sack. Though tempted I've never bred spiders and am unsure what to do, what the "gestation" period is, etc. If any one could let me know what I should be doing extra to ensure I do the right thing it would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Elise.

If the spider is wild caught then it may be fertile but if captive bred, it may be a phantom egg sac.

Keep the spider as normal but reduce any stress and movement.

More info can be found here http://giantspiders.com/breeding.html
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Ive had the same problem with my Chilean Rose Red Colour Form

Bought it as an unsexed sub adult and a month later found it had laid a sack

after a bit of research Ive found its best to leave with the mother and to reduce as much stress to the mother by not disturbing her (as she may destroy the sack)

After about 30 days remove the sack shielding with a spoon and pulling the sack out carefully but quickly with long tweezers

build an incubator Tarntulaguy1976 on youtube has a great and pretty simple tuturial on how to do this as well as spitting the sack and raising the eggs with legs to 1st instar

link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKdgIt_CUlc

there seem to be many other methods (mechanical mum and various other incubation methods but I found his to be the best and most straightforward) and some say pull it at 2 weeks he suggests 30 days as should be eggs with legs by then and to remove all bad eggs normally black and to remove any other debris tuturial goes into a lot more detail and in my eyes well worth the watch

I pull my sack on the 30th October Again didnt expect it and was not looking at breeding but take it as a sign and have named her The Virgin Mary lol

I am by nowhere an expert in this so if I have given any wrong info please feel free to correct me as I would hate to jepodise this precious gift ive been given
      Last edited by Simon Brown; 09-10-11, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X