Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web monster

Hello all.

I'm very excited - I picked up my first sling on Friday (G. pulchra)... so looking forward to watching her grow. (Is there a term for unsexed spiders? I don't really want to call her an it...)

I also picked up a Selenocosmia (Sarina Whistling) - and this is where I have some questions... She has a body size of approx 5cm. so quite small and is currently in a large plastic tupperware cube (approx 20cm each way), just under half filled with substrate. The cube she is in is a mass of webs... She's burrowed slightly, but not deep - sort of made a crater in the substrate rather than a hole. I've setup another tank for her - larger than the one she is in ... but I'm a little reluctant to break through the webs to coax her out just yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on this species so I can ensure the new tank is setup correctly? .. I have searched the boards and found very little.

Thanks

Name for unsexed Tarantulas is . . . . . . . IT

Set up your new container, dig out the evil killing machine known as "whistler".
    Place it in new container, hopefully without getting tagged CLICKY
    Leave well alone for a week or two to allow it to dig burrow or web up a retreat.
    Easy as that

If you dont want to see it then have deep substrate (5-6 inches ), if you want to see it occasionally then have shallow substrate (2 inches ?) and half of a flower pot or similar as a hide.
    Selenocosmia are burrowers, if there isnt enough depth of substrate to dig an burrow they web up the container. Keep the substrate slightly damp and . . . its as easy as that.
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 09-10-11, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Hello Peter.

Thanks for the advise and the clicky... looks like when I said monster in the thread title I was in the right area. ... that sounded really painful. This morning it's sitting on top on its web staring at me...

Although not the most colourful of spiders, I would like it see it every so often, so I'll keep with the shallow substrate. I am going to attempt to keep one half damp and let the other end dry a little... I think pouring some water on the substrate would be the easiest way without disturbing the web too much by spraying.

Thanks again for the tips.

Comment

Working...
      X