Scorpions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpions

Don't know how many spider keepers keep scorps aswell? I guess quite a few...

After keeping (and still do!) scorps and Ts I want to track down a species of scorp that will use the sting to catch prey in addition to claws. I assume the dangerously venomous species would use stings but dont want to go to trouble of getting DWA license for a Buthidae member.

So, any species folks can suggest that will use stinger for hunting but not require DWA permit?

Thanks, hope that makes sense!
    ------
    www.dafoot.co.uk

My fully grown adult P. Imperator often uses her sting whenever I feed her locusts. Usually probes around and then gets them right through the eye, which I've always thought was a bit brutal! I hear that most full grown emperors are reluctant to sting prey though, so mine is a bit of a mad exception. I'm going to be getting an H. Arizonensis next week, and I imagine that to be a bit of a stinger, what with the quite thin claws and aggressive nature that I've read about. I'm looking forward to finding out! I love watching scorpions catch their prey, have to watch it every time! You won't catch me chucking a prey item in the tank and then going off to do something else. I'll stay put till I see some action!

Comment

had an imperial ('morpheous'), had a habit of grabbing locusts and start chewing from arse up. While the head end of the body was still trying to get away
      ------
      www.dafoot.co.uk

Comment

My interest actually started with scorpions, I developed an interest in Tarantulas later!

There are plenty of scorpions available that will use their sting to primarily overpower prey, without requiring a DWA license.

The best species to get would be Hadrurus arizonensis or H. spadix. These are very active species, relatively easy to obtain and easy to care for. They always use their sting to overcome prey, sometimes stinging several times in order to get the job done.
        They are quite defensive and will sting if provoked so care must be taken when cleaning out the enclosure.

H. Arizonensis.

H. spadix

My scorpion gallery can be seen here:

Comment

Coolsox2003uk: Those scorps look very deadly . But they're not actually too dangerous at all.

Comment

thanks for replies folks, think I be going for a Hadrurus arizonensis in due course.

As a desert spp I imagine these wont want to be kept like my forest scorps (Pandinus & Heterometrus spp), certainly dryer/less humid.

Sand for substrate, as a burrower how do u stop the burrows collapsing? Mix sand with something to help it keep shape or just keep it moist?
            ------
            www.dafoot.co.uk

Comment

Hadrurus require dry conditions. They resent moisture and will quickly die if the enclosure is damp.
              They can be kept on a mix (1:1) of Sharp sand (available from a garden centre) and either forest bed mix or moss peat. If you mix these together well, and then really pack it hard into the tank whilst it is still damp it will form quite a solid mix. When it has THOROUGHLY dried out you can add the scorpion. It will easily build tunnels in this which will last as long as you don't disturb the tank.
              Alternatively, use the same mix, but add the dried contents loosely to the tank and provide a cork bark retreat. I kept my Hadrurus like this for years and it seemed happy. They will do a LOT of digging and escavate a hole under the shelter you provide.

Comment

scorp info needed please..

hey all.. looking for sum info on a scorpion.....THE FAB LOOKING HADRURUS SPP.

already have a maylasian forrest scorp but looking for a newbie..
                am i right in sayin that this bad boy is the species that GLOWS in the dark with the right type of light,if so what type of light?
                could i use a mix of sharp sand and coco fibre mix for scorp to dig in or has it got o be a peat mix?
                any info welcomed please......
                ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS IN LIFE, IS TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO A WOMEN THAT EVEN A BARGAIN COST`S MONEY

Comment

Originally posted by WAYNE M C View Post
                  hey all.. looking for sum info on a scorpion.....THE FAB LOOKING HADRURUS SPP.

already have a maylasian forrest scorp but looking for a newbie..
                  am i right in sayin that this bad boy is the species that GLOWS in the dark with the right type of light,if so what type of light?
                  could i use a mix of sharp sand and coco fibre mix for scorp to dig in or has it got o be a peat mix?
                  any info welcomed please......
                  Most Scorpions flouresce under ultraviolet light, it's due to an, (as yet i think?), unidentified substance in a thin layer in the outer cuticle of the scorpion, this is called the hyaline layer. no-ones sure of the reason behind this flourescing but the most common theory is that its an ultraviolet sensing device so the scorpion avoids light levels that may be detramental.

Comment

Working...
                  X