Probable dyskinesis cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probable dyskinesis cure

Recently (beginning of last month-present) I've been observing an adult female P.cambridgei with possible dyskinesis, displaying symptoms including difficult in walking/righting itself, trembling and loss of speed and feeding response. We administered a potential therapy to the tarantula which over the course of ten days led to dramatic reversal of symptoms. 25 days from the onset of the symptoms spider was feeding itself again (14 days post-treatment) and continues to improve.

I realise however that this is only one spider and therefore I get to the other purpose of this thread - we would like donations of other dyskinetic tarantulas to see if this works in the wider population. I can't guarantee the return of the animal if it fails to make a recovery, although any that do not survive through the therapy will of course be treated respectfully. Please PM me if you're interested in contributing an animal to this, I'm really hoping it proves successful.

Forgive me if im being a bit dim but on your first post on the forum you want donated (read FREE) spiders that may or may not have a very dubious catch all set of symptoms that goes by the initals DKS, and you have not detailed the 'treatment' that you say that was sucessfull.
    Somehow im not exactly filled with confidence.
    Some details of who you are, qualifications if any and any other details that may help other hobbists decide if to send free spiders to you would be helpful.
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 18-10-11, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks Peter... yes, the way you have this first forum message Chris sounds rather like selling snake oil or Quack medicine. Yes Chris, please more details.

Maybe some members are happy to send you their sick spiders. If you have something that might help them back from the brink then great, but indeed as peter says i wouldnt be surprised if all the sicknesses and deaths said to be due to DKS are actually due to a multitude of causes. In medicine, there is the need for a confirmed direct link between the cause and the cure. You need to make headway to explaining the cause(s) of the DKS in those you manage to cure.

Great you say you will treat spiders that die with respect. I ask if you are also willing to guarantee sending donors photographs of their dead spider if they'd like to see that, rather than just take your word it died. Also are you willing to guarantee return of any spiders that you cure? Who pays costs?

Anyway, if any members choose to send you free spiders thats their choice - just limiting the potential for dissatisfaction later on if for example you dont have honorable intentions, or dont actually have any new insights on posible cures. Myself and others have sent or given free spiders to members who wanted them. Sending free spiders does not need to be a problem, thats obviously the choice of the owner/sender. But sender beware.
      Last edited by stuart longhorn; 18-10-11, 10:31 PM.
      British Tarantula Society
      My Lovely spiders:

Comment

assuming you're sincere, i applaud you wishing to continue testing, but this is a small hobby. it suffers when people withhold information.

data sharing would enable more people to try and treat this syndrome (which as Peter accurately says is a catch-all term for a variety of strange symptoms about which we are largely ignorant as to cause) and we could all benefit.

someone else on here has had success treating nematode worm infestations, which are usually fatal. he had the courtesy to say what he'd used though (saline solution), so we can all try it if we have to, God forbid.

i seriously doubt anyone would trust their spiders to a stranger on a forum
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

tbh whenever Ive experienced what I deem to be DKS the last thing I consider is putting them through the postal system. A friend of mine who asked me to look after his P. miranda agreed that rather than post his female back to him it would be better to leave at mine in the hope it improved. Unfortunately it didnt.
          There must be a stress factor to consider when posting so its not the obvious choice to me when I have a sick tarantula, by the same token neither would I send one clearly showing signs of pre-moult.

Out of interest what symptoms did you observe?
          How long have you kept the tarantula?
          What was your feeding regime?
          What factors to you believe caused the issue?
          Do you have any other pets in the house?
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
            tbh whenever Ive experienced what I deem to be DKS the last thing I consider is putting them through the postal system. A friend of mine who asked me to look after his P. miranda agreed that rather than post his female back to him it would be better to leave at mine in the hope it improved. Unfortunately it didnt.
            There must be a stress factor to consider when posting so its not the obvious choice to me when I have a sick tarantula, by the same token neither would I send one clearly showing signs of pre-moult.

Out of interest what symptoms did you observe?
            How long have you kept the tarantula?
            What was your feeding regime?
            What factors to you believe caused the issue?
            Do you have any other pets in the house?
            There is a stress factor with posting especially in pre moult in my experience, I've only had two D.O.A and they were in pre moult and they were in a bad way when they arrived and never recovered despite all my efforts. I lost another yesterday from exactly the same thing, It was in pre moult and it arrived a week or so ago and it looked dead but was still moving so I put it into an ICU and left it where it perked up a bit and fed once, Then it died. Lesson for everyone there, Don't send T's out if they are close to a moult...They get really stressed out! It's like they go supersensitive at this time and need time to go through this experience unhindered. To keep this on topic also, I am also dubious of such a request for free spiders with no information for us to read or atleast feel more at ease.
            Last edited by Stephen jordan; 20-10-11, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X