Cora the Mexican Red Knee Tarantula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cora the Mexican Red Knee Tarantula

A small, light box with a tape on it saying "fragile" was delivered to me yesterday morning. I signed the order but I didn't tell the postman what was in the box. I opened the box that was securely sealed, and inside it was cushioned with all these newspaper pages. Deep within this dark descent full of newspaper was a small plastic container full of air holes. Upon opening the plastic container I removed the kitchen towel, placed it inside the terrarium and began to unwrap it. After unfolding fold after fold after fold, eight black and orange legs popped out, and a sub-adult Mexican Red Knee Tarantula emerged, over three inches long. She was a female and was a little skittish at first. She scuttled across the terrarium moss and sand substrate and gave my mother a little fright. She brushed her abdomen once with her back leg, and I was like "Oh no! She's throwing urticating hairs at us!" She climbed up the rock like wall in the terrarium and sat there for hours. At night she had a little walk about, and went to toilet against the side of the glass walls. She liked climbing high and didn't want to come down onto the substrate at first, but now she's settled in there. It was cooler this morning so I left the heat mat on, and now she' huddled against it. I haven't had much luck feeding her though yet.

Imagine that as a birthday present. Cora is home.

Yey. Congratulations and Happy birthday!

She may take a couple of days to settle before eating. Try just leaving her be and then maybe on monday offer her food

Good luck with Cora. x

Comment

Thanks so much!

My actual birthday is a few months away (in September) but I got her early because I didn't have a party for my 18th and I just finished my AS exams.

She's eating right now! I put a mealworm in an inch or so away from her. The mealworm tried to climb up the rocklike structure but failed miserably. Then Cora came to life, sneaked up behind it, and it was all over for the poor mealworm... Ah well. It looks like she decaputated its head, too. It was good.

Comment

Working...
      X