Selenocosmia Samarae!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selenocosmia Samarae!

hi guys, can you help me. i got a selenocosmia samarae about 1 inch DLS. i search the net and can't find any care sheet for her. she arrived on Wednesday. after that, she made a tent-like burrow made of coco-peat and web. i can't see what's happening inside. i drop a small cricket to her enclosure last night. when i look at it this morning the cricket turned into bolus.
    because i can't see her, i wonder if she will molt inside the tent-like burrow. can it be possible that she will undergo the molting process inside? help me guys. i'm just a beginner.
    she's my first tarantula, i cant afford to lose her.

kay tee

Hi Kay Tee
    it is unlikley you will find a specific care sheet for this spider. There are so many different species appearing in the hobby that it is advisable to use a simpler generic care sheet for your spider. In this case I would recomend using a care sheet for Selenocosmia in general. Also do a little reseach into the environment from where the species comes from. Ie the Phillipines. Temps, humidity at times of year etc.With regard to the spider webbing herself in. Dont panic. This is natural as in the wild they will spend most of the time coocooned within a silk lined burrow venturing out only at night to feed. She is obvioulsy eating as the cricket has been taken. Try not to worry too much as I am sure she will be fine.

Hope this helps

Ray Hale
    BTS Committee
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Thank you Mr. Ray Hale for your help.. I have just started researching for its natural habitat. And I found out that this is a cave tarantula. Sir, the thing that bothers me is,will she undergoes molting process inside her burrow? i'm afraid i might put a cricket to her enclosure while she is molting, because i can't see her. And it will result to bad molt or even death.
      Kay Tee

Comment

Originally posted by kay tee View Post
        Thank you Mr. Ray Hale for your help.. I have just started researching for its natural habitat. And I found out that this is a cave tarantula. Sir, the thing that bothers me is,will she undergoes molting process inside her burrow? i'm afraid i might put a cricket to her enclosure while she is molting, because i can't see her. And it will result to bad molt or even death.
        Kay Tee
        Kay
        As with most burrowing species and to a greater extent, Asian sp, they will silk over the entrance of the burrow and seal them selves in before molting. Often weeks before in older specimens.

Were as species like Brachypelma will molt out in the open and seldom burrow in captivity they can fall prey to hungry live foods such as crickets.

So you should be a bit safer from this actually happening but vigilance is always the key. If introduced crickets dont go within a day or so take them out.

Hope all goes well and welcome to the forum and the world of tarantulas, its an addictive hobby

Regards
        Mark

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Mr. Mark Pennell
          Thanks for the information sir.I think she is going to molt.. As you have told, she blocked the entrance of her burrow with some coco peat..I have decided that I will not give her food for 5 days, is it okay?. I always spray water to the substrate.
          I kept her in a deli cup 5 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches high. I am thinking of transferring her to a container having smaller diameter and higher walls, is it okay?
          You're right sir, i'm addicted now!
          Kay Tee

Comment

guys she has been in the burrow for 5 days with no food. she didn't went out the burrow for 5 days. is she dead? am i going to destroy the burrow and retrieve her??? help please..

Comment

guys she has been in the burrow for 5 days with no food. she didn't went out the burrow for 5 days. is she dead? am i going to destroy the burrow and retrieve her??? help please..
              Kay
              Please just give it a little time. Ok if your that worried try and look just using minimal disturbance ok.

Few more days it will be out on it own.

It will be fine. Why not post a picture for us to look at ok

Mark

------------------------------------------------------
              Serious Ink tattoo studio -
              Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi I don't know if this may help at all, my stirmi usually lays a web carpet and silks up the entrance to his burrow when he molts, last night I put a cricket in there fully expecting him to leave as he is in pre molt bu he savaged it this morning he was blocking up the door and silking up the entrance again, also his abdomen is showing signs of an impending molt. I will not see him until he is completed, however what I have done is used a clear perspex square tunnel which is covered in substrate except for one side, square in section so one side sits against the glass, now if I need to see what he is up to I can shine a light into the tunnel from the outside of the tank and have no problems viewing his progress. He doesn't need to be encouraged to use it and I have a ready viewing window should I need to. Hope that made sense as I am typing on my phone

Comment

Start to get worried when she has been in the burrow with no food for 2-3 months LOL
                  I moved some of my juveniles last weekend so i didnt feed them, I'm working all of this weekend so they wont get fed again but if i'm not working the weekend after they will get fed then.
                  If a tarantula doesnt eat for a few weeks or months, its no big deal and nothing to worry about.
                  Its the same as you missing lunch for one day

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pennell View Post
                    Kay
                    Please just give it a little time. Ok if your that worried try and look just using minimal disturbance ok.

Few more days it will be out on it own.

It will be fine. Why not post a picture for us to look at ok

Mark
                    but still i'm afraid to disturb her..i trust you sir, i'll stop worrying and leave her alone. "patience is a virtue" i'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow. thanks sir.

Originally posted by Aragorn Davies View Post
                    Hi I don't know if this may help at all, my stirmi usually lays a web carpet and silks up the entrance to his burrow when he molts, last night I put a cricket in there fully expecting him to leave as he is in pre molt bu he savaged it this morning he was blocking up the door and silking up the entrance again, also his abdomen is showing signs of an impending molt. I will not see him until he is completed, however what I have done is used a clear perspex square tunnel which is covered in substrate except for one side, square in section so one side sits against the glass, now if I need to see what he is up to I can shine a light into the tunnel from the outside of the tank and have no problems viewing his progress. He doesn't need to be encouraged to use it and I have a ready viewing window should I need to. Hope that made sense as I am typing on my phone
                    okay sir, i'll try to make an improvised tunnel just like yours. but then, i'll have to transfer first my tarantula to another container before putting the said tunnel. maybe i can do this if she started to get out of her burrow.thanks a lot..

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
                    Start to get worried when she has been in the burrow with no food for 2-3 months LOL
                    I moved some of my juveniles last weekend so i didnt feed them, I'm working all of this weekend so they wont get fed again but if i'm not working the weekend after they will get fed then.
                    If a tarantula doesnt eat for a few weeks or months, its no big deal and nothing to worry about.
                    Its the same as you missing lunch for one day
                    Yup sir, i'll understand. i'll just don't need to worry. thanks for sharing your experience..

Comment

Whe it comes to transfering spiders in to bigger enclosures I often put the entire set up in a bigger tank. So if your spider has made a burrow in a deli cup for instance I put the whole cup in the new tank and let them get on with it. This way you do not disturb the spider too much.

Keep us all informed
                      Best Wishes

Ray Hale
                      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                      On
                      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Here is the pictures!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03023.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	94225Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03024.jpg
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	94226Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03025.jpg
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	94227Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03027.jpg
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	94228Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03028.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	94229Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03029.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	94230Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03030.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	94231Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03031.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	94232

the tent-like burrow is in the middle. the entrance is blocked but you can see the hole in the side of the enclosure.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Laser Pointer!

another question, i have read that tarantulas can't be disturb by red lights.. i have here a laser-pointer, can it be use to light the tarantula? does this laser-pointer can't harm her?

Comment

another question, i have read that tarantulas can't be disturb by red lights.. i have here a laser-pointer, can it be use to light the tarantula? does this laser-pointer can't harm her?
                            personally i wouldn't, i am sure you understand how the peak power of a laser is increased by the lens of the eye which focuses the light into a tighter beam onto the macula / Retina of the eye thus potentially damaging the cones and rods let alone the damage that may result from heating...now as far as i understand some spiders have a more reflective tapetum than others and this is more prevalent in the species Salticidae, Thomisidae and Lycosidae whether this reflects or filters red light i am not sure but given that in some of these species there eye sight is considered excellent and the primary eyes have i believe a telephoto type structure this and the size of the structure may significantly increase the potential of the beam....i understand that a tarantulas eyes may not be so effective but would you take the risk...use a red filter on a standard torch if you are that concerned but personally i wouldn't use a laser pointer....

Comment

Originally posted by Aragorn Davies View Post
                              personally i wouldn't, i am sure you understand how the peak power of a laser is increased by the lens of the eye which focuses the light into a tighter beam onto the macula / Retina of the eye thus potentially damaging the cones and rods let alone the damage that may result from heating...now as far as i understand some spiders have a more reflective tapetum than others and this is more prevalent in the species Salticidae, Thomisidae and Lycosidae whether this reflects or filters red light i am not sure but given that in some of these species there eye sight is considered excellent and the primary eyes have i believe a telephoto type structure this and the size of the structure may significantly increase the potential of the beam....i understand that a tarantulas eyes may not be so effective but would you take the risk...use a red filter on a standard torch if you are that concerned but personally i wouldn't use a laser pointer....
                              okay sir. i won't use it. thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                              X