Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Baboon Housing

Hi all,

Just a quick question...I have a 2ft glass vivarium/terrarium with sliding glass doors on the front, am I asking for trouble housing an adult female King Baboon in there? Ha ha. Or should I 'play it safe' and go for something that is top opening instead? In fairness to her, she seemed pretty docile when I went to see her today, but...she is a King Baboon at the end of the day! LOL!

Thanks,
    Dave
    “The attitude of the average person to the world they live in is completely selfish. When I take people round to see my animals, one of the first questions they ask (unless the animal is cute and appealing) is, "what use is it?" by which they mean, "what use is it to them?"...By and large, by asking the question "what use is it?" you are asking the animal to justify its existence without having justified your own.” - Gerald Durrell

she is a King Baboon at the end of the day! LOL!
    So whats wrong with king baboons ?
    They are no worse than many other species and better than some.
    Once she is settled in the viv and has a hide or burrow then you shouldnt have any problems with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
      So whats wrong with king baboons ?
      I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them, just you hear a lot of 'stories', mind you, that said, my OBT was a perfectly behaved young man 99.9% of the time, despite all the 'oooh, you wanna be careful!'s I had at the time.

My only real worry, with the viv only being 12 inches tall, is, will that be deep enough for her to settle in happily? She's got to be the best part of 7 inches.
      “The attitude of the average person to the world they live in is completely selfish. When I take people round to see my animals, one of the first questions they ask (unless the animal is cute and appealing) is, "what use is it?" by which they mean, "what use is it to them?"...By and large, by asking the question "what use is it?" you are asking the animal to justify its existence without having justified your own.” - Gerald Durrell

Comment

Maybe pile the substrate against the back and corners and start a burrow to encourage her that that is where she should start to dig her new home or partially bury 1/2 a flowerpot and just leave a gap big enough for her to squeeze in to simulate a burrow.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, nice to have it 'confirmed' by someone else though. She's in a tiny tub at the shop at the mo with a flower pot in and she seems very happy, so hopefully she'll take a bigger viv without getting freaked out :/

Comment

Lovely T's the King Baboon (C. Crawshayii), dont' forget to take a pic of her before you put her in deep substrate lol, you'll probably never see her again, once she goes to ground

Comment

Linda...she's been a perfect lady, I had more problems moving my 2 inch P. cancerides than this beautiful girl gave me, quite the gentle giant...although I won't be letting my fingers get anywhere near her! Ha ha! I have got some great pictures of her, including her first meal (a 'jumbo' mouse I had spare from my cornsnakes who now are only interested in rats ha ha), I shall try and get them posted, but, if you are on facebook, look up 'The Temple of the Spider', there are lots of pictures of her and my other babies on there

Click image for larger version

Name:	298199_10150349234017914_657647913_8316776_1759505276_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	94234Click image for larger version

Name:	393768_10150349233527914_657647913_8316769_425081211_n.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	94235Click image for larger version

Name:	373812_10150347061727914_657647913_8304819_222492730_n.jpg
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	94236
              Last edited by Dave Shinn; 07-11-11, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave, I'm glad she's good tempered, as you may know they're credited with one of the most nasty bites, so keeping fingers clear is a definite advantage. Strangely you mention her taking a mouse, one of the problems we had with one of our big female C. crawshayi, is that she would only eat mice, and then only at extended intervals, which we felt was bad for her. If you do get the chance in the future, see if she will take Dubia Roaches, as it will vary her diet, to her advantage.

You mention the P Cancerides, we had an adult female, and WAS she a nasty piece of work, she just wanted to attack you, so watch out for that one too. lol

Comment

I have no intention of feeding her mice on a regular basis, and as far as I'm aware her previous diet consisted mainly of locusts and pinkies, like I say, that mouse was just 'spare' in the freezer, she will be getting a nice big juicy dubia next time I feed her

yeah, my cancerides has always been tenacious ha ha, even my OBT was better behaved! I have a GBB with a bit of an attitude problem too...just loves kicking hairs at me! Ha ha

Comment

Thanks for adding the pics, she looks great, thought she'd got an eggsac on the first pic at a glance lol. I just love those strong back legs, and they always look as good before a moult as after, no bald bottoms on these girls lol.

Comment

Ha ha, I wish...maybe one day though and their back legs are amazing...anyone who says spiders are 'simple' creatures is a fool, those back legs are evolution at it's most ingenious apparently she moulted about 4 months ago...her shed was over 6 inches leg span

Comment

Working...
                      X