Theraphosa Stirmi Sexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theraphosa Stirmi Sexing

if i may ask for your help, i have two very bad photographs of a molt and would ask if its possible to tell what sex this is from these photographs...

Click image for larger version

Name:	girl or boy 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	96230

Click image for larger version

Name:	girl or boy 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	96231

Ok I posted these pics on another site and have been informed that its a male, which is good because that means what I thought was correct, and also means I have a good excuse to buy a female, happy days !

Comment

Good luck with your quest to find a lady friend for your male, there's probably not that many guaranteed females around for sale, so take care not to buy yourself another male to go with the one you already have

Comment

Hmmmm good point, are female T stirmi few and far between then?....I guess I can put him out to stud when he matures...bit of a risk as I wouldn't want him eaten but I guess that's a males lot in the world of spiders though....reach maturity,find a mate and be served as dinner ....

Comment

Yes, that about sums it up. When he's ready you could put him on offer for a 50/50 loan as we could certainly do with more CB T.Stirmi in the hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Linda Street View Post
            Yes, that about sums it up. When he's ready you could put him on offer for a 50/50 loan as we could certainly do with more CB T.Stirmi in the hobby.
            Well a 50/50 split on a successful breeding would be good, and to be fair if it goes some way to increasing the number of CB of this species for the T enthusiasts then that's a good thing right!

Also I am guessing he may well have a better chance of survival breeding in the captive environment so if he is luck he may even get it twice lol ....more CB T Stirmi....

Ok I read that its 2 or 3 years for maturity and he may live 5 to 8 years if he is lucky is this correct?

Comment

I've kept several T Blondi males that have mated with many different females and got away without problems, ocassionally they've lost a leg, but that's not deterred their enthusiasm lol, we've not had a male that's lived to 8yrs old generally around the 5yrs, they do seem to go downhill quickly, but there's always the exception. Theraphosas do live longer if they're not overfed, as Blondi will eat for England and can get very heavy which lessons their chance of surviving a moult as they get older.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Linda Street View Post
                I've kept several T Blondi males that have mated with many different females and got away without problems, occasionally they've lost a leg, but that's not deterred their enthusiasm lol,.
                eeeek lost a leg!! lol....well not to bad considering the number of pairings and i guess they do grow back and its better than being eaten...

Eating,, now theres a thing, he is indeed on hungry bugger its something i have just recently had to keep in check as i noticed he was gaining a sizable paunch so he has been on a diet, however this seems to have made him hyper grumpy...i moved him into his transfer tank so i could change and clean his enclosure...man was he angry!!!

So he is just under 7 months old, and was approx 1 1/4" when i got him, the guy i purchased him from didn't know how old he was, he hadn't had him long himself..i should say 1 year 3 months for him to reach maturity...so plenty of time yet!! have you noticed your male Blondi's having an aggressive disposition?

Comment

He probably will be agressive if you disturb him, especially cleaning out, they don't need cleaning out as such. If you keep him on eco-earth and give him a hide/burrow, I've said on the forum many times before, I don't subscribe to keeping Theraphosas wet, I keep all of mine on eco-earth, with a good sized hide for them to go into, and I sink a microwave ready meal plastic dish into the eco-earth down to surface level, I then soak substrate in that dish, and then ocassionally spray the whole enclosure once or twice a week, and just remove any uneaten/food remains, but I can't say I've ever removed one from it's enclosure to clean it out. I do use a piece of stiff card in front of their hide, so that it's safe to go in and do a quick tidy up and clean any soiled areas. So giving him the option of using the moist area or hide, he's got the best of both worlds, plus you'll find that he'll tend to spend time out on his damp area, and he's got a lot of growing to do yet.

A good tip would be to feed him on Dubia roaches, they're good food value, far better than crickets and don't smell. All of my Theraphosas love the roaches, and spend a lot of time on the surface, and mine stay pest free with that set up.

To answer your question, Blondi's, especially adult females, are not overly agressive, less so than many other popular spiders in the hobby, but they do need treating with respect and especially caution regarding the flicking of hairs, but you do get fair warning when they are displeased lol.

Comment

Thanks for the tips , i will get someDubia Roaches and give the damp earth patch a try...hey life is about learning right! and thats why i am here.. cheers again

Comment

Hey i have been trying to find some info on the maturing of this T, am i correct in saying that once its reached maturity it won't have tibial spurs will get enlarged palps, will start to make a sperm web after its final moult, and start to become more active. Is there anything else that will give a good indication that its begining to reach maturity or has matured i mean like anything physical that is easy to recognise, other than what i have said......

Comment

Working...
                      X