Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L.violaceopes spiderling - a cautionary tale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.violaceopes spiderling - a cautionary tale!

Yesterday I took delivery of a delightful L.violaceopes sling of about 4cm.

Having left it at room temp to warm slowly, I took it upstairs for transfer into its enclosure at a stable temp of 27C and an rh of around 80%. Being aware of their speed (and having experience of several Poecilotheria spp) I was ready for a burst of speed. I'd also readied my camera for some shots of the new beastie.

The moistened packaging was gently removed and, with paint brush ready for spidey-coaxing, tilted the pot over the new enclosure.

Woosh! Gone - made a pokey look like a tortoise.

Luckilly the creature had settled along the seam of my camera bag in a lovely pose.

Ignoring all my sense screaming "Get it in the enclosure", I turned around for a split second to get my camera for the shot and.... yup.... Zoom. Gone!

My long-suffering better half took the camera bag down to the bathroom and watched it for any signs of life while I emptied the entire room slowly and methodically. Nothing. Nada. Rien.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting to find it - hundreds of millions of years unchanged, they've evolved not to be found.

Had it been larger, say the 3 - 4" mark it would have been easier - I would be looking up, but at 4cm... Too many nooks and crannies at floor level.

The ambient rh in the room is around the 55% mark so I've set up an Exo Terra viv with deep moist substrate and some lovely dampened bits of cork bark and additional heating to about 28C and reduced the room's ambient temperature to the 20C region in the hope it will find the more comfortable environment before the poor thing dies of dehydration or bad moult.

Had this been a genuine accident I wouldn't be so annoyed, but the entire episode and possible loss of life of the animal is 100% my fault. I have always treated my spiders as fast and hidey things, never allowing room for error. This time a momentary lapse of concentration, just to get a nice shot, may well have cost the life of an animal in my care.

While a valuable lesson has been learned, I'm still gutted.

Hopefully it will turn up.....

Sorry to hear about this. I thought as I read through your story that it would have a happy ending and you might have found it. Don't give up looking though. Although it's never happened to me, (touch wood) lots of people have lost T's and later found them. Sadly, in some cases they do remain lost or remains of them turn up.

Do you have any other pets in the house? Cats or dogs? If so then I would make more of an effort to find it quickly as it will be in more danger. A lot of people suggest looking for missing T's at night with a torch as that is when they are most active.

Don't beat yourself up too much. It happens. I've always worried about losing tiny spiderlings as they would be very difficult to find but at 4cm you have a good chance. Good luck and keep us updated.

Jamie
    My Collection:

Comment

Sorry to hear that, but yeah, keep looking. Will be keeping my fingers crossed that you find the little one.

Comment

Hi
        check the folds on the curtains and any tube like dark places it will be there in one of these withing days OK. I have lost and recovered many this way. Cyriopagopus, Phormingochilus and Lampropelma are all arboreal in the wild and will head up into such places.

or place a pebble in the middle of the room with pepper on it, the natural curiousty will bring it over it will sniff the pepper sneeze and knock itself out long enough for you capture it - or is that mice??? lol

Seriously best of luck finding it and do let us all know it truns up safe and well.

Cheers
        Mark

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

What a shame You'll be like me now, always looking up and in the dark corners for the escaped P pulcher sling; and when I'm in the study any movement out the corner of my eye could be the albop sling that did a runner more than a year ago.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Good call on the pebble / pepper but as we are out of pepper I opted for dressing up as a fly and making buzzing noises while suspended upside-down from the ceiling.... Still no joy!

I'm in the lucky position that I've put thermostatically controlled ceramic back-up heaters in each of my enclosures - I'm thinking of turning off the cetral heating to the room and chilling the entire house, windows open. (The nighttime temp here's about 7 - 9C).

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether such a move will prompt the sling into moving into the nice warm, moist enclosure I mentioned setting up in my original post or whether the drop in temp will merely make it go torpid and stay put until the temperature rises again?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Delighted to report the wee sling has turned up!!!!

I just popped my head into the spider room for a before bed scan - checked walls, ceilings, corners etc etc.... nothing.

Went over to the spare enclosure I'd set up with the door open and found the little thing with just its forelegs poking out from beneath a sheet of polystyrene I use to insulate and darken the tank. My Good Lady tilted the viv and with a tiny bit of coaxing it scuttled into the sweetie jar (the spider, not my Better Half, I hasten to add).

I was suffering from T-Owner Eyes - it's actually only about 2.5cm - just didn't get to see it for long enough on Thursday!

Lesson learnt and spidey safe.

Job Done!!

Comment

great news! glad that you recovered the spiderling..

Mark

------------------------------------------------------
                Serious Ink tattoo studio -
                Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Congratulations!!! well pleased for ya!

Comment

Great news, I love a happy ending! Nice to hear the spider is safe.

Comment

Its mini-adventure has left no emotional nor physical scars and she completely caned two crickets last night, each nearly the size of her opisthosoma!

Thanks, everyone
                      Last edited by DJKelly; 08-11-11, 01:27 PM.

Comment

So glad this story had a happy ending and you found the sling. I was hoping it would turn up as I finished reading the first post.

Comment

Great news!
                          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                          X