Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GBB Sling not moulting Should I be Worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBB Sling not moulting Should I be Worried?

Hi All

I have a GBB sling that ive had for a good 4 months it used to be a good eater but went off its food about 3 months ago as its to small for a water bowl I dampen the substrate and put a few droplets of water onto its webbing

I dont believe its molted since ive had it, and cant be sure if it looks bigger or not have left it well alone so not to disturb it and moisten sustrate every 3-4 weekshave found no evidence of a moult (perhaps it ate it?) and have put in a few crickets here and there but most seem to be left to die although every once in a while i find a smalll boluse (excuse the spelling)

But it doesnt seem to act like it did when i first got it was a very hungry eater, its kept at the same temperature of my other slings and my slower growing grammies and brachys have each molted a good 3-4 times this being considered a fast growing species im a little concerned still has sling colours etc and about 2cm legs span maybe a little bigger other than that it seems to be quite happy and still moves about here and there as when i check on it, it has sometimes switched positions

any advice or anyone that has experienced the same would be greatly received, im sure im worrying for nothing but for a so called fast grower its being outgrown by most of my so called slow growers lol

regards

Simon

Do you have any pics of its set up or if it comes to it I only live up the road (10 mins drive) and could have a look see as its much easier to have a quick look to see what, if anything, is wrong.
    I've got 6 GBB's and they havent seen water . . . ever.

Comment

Peter

Thanks as always for your reply currently working nights so won't be able to put up photos till tomorrow as on my iPhone at the moment n can't upload from here so will transfer them when I wake up

My GBB is currently in the small square cricket tubs it was previously in the small round sling tubs but moved her as got worried the substrate it was supplied in looked as though mould was forming so to be on the safe side moved her

She is in potting soil not to deep with a bit of cork bark covering half the tank as know the tub is abit spacey for her plus gives her the option to hide under it if she wishes (seen her under it once) she has webbed up most of the enclosure with a nice big hammock style web in the open half where she mainly sits in either corner

I appreciate the offer to come and have a look would be nice to meet the man that has given me so many great pointers but due to work shift patterns I am only really available Monday during the day next week

I'll get the photos up later Saturday

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	94237Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	94238 Photos as requested, GBB seems very healthy just doesnt seem to have molted in last 4 months

Comment

I have had a GBB sling from half a cm (now around 2 inch) She refused to eat crickets ... So I got some maggots from the fishing shop and she loved them. Now she will only eat Meal worms and refuses crickets and roaches. There is also a guy on youtube called jon3800 who has an adult female that will only eat crickets and refuses other pray items. Just a thought... Has any one else noticed this?
          “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Cheers Lee she has only really ever had crickets and used to eat them like nothing but has just gone off them will try some maggots as soon as I can get some and see how it goes I got another gbb juvie and he's doing quite well very fast and hunts down the crickets as soon as they hit the substrate I'll let you know how I get on

Comment

Possibly a silly idea. Check that she/he has the right amount of fangs.
              I'm sure that you are also aware that GBB's are semi arborial ? (i find them almost totally arborial myself) and that in my experience they seem to prefer height rather than surface space.

I moved some a short while ago, thread HERE where you can see the type of containers that I have always used for GBB's with great results.
              Last edited by Peter Roach; 12-11-11, 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I'll try n check tomorrow when its a bit brighter

I've heard their a bit semi my juvie male is in a medium faunarium has made a lovely little home in the bottom corner of the tank but when I first got him he spent most of his time on the ceiling or back wall now he's settled in he rarely leaves the floor

As for the sling she spends most of her time at the top corners will see if I can find a suitable tall container for her see if that helps all my avics have filled mine

Measured her last night at 4cm and was sold at 2cm so either she has molted or pet shop don't have a clue probably the later as I can't see any evidence of a molt and can't be 100% if she looks bigger or not as never really measured her before

Will try all suggestions and keep you posted of any changes thanks for all the advice it's as always appreciated

Comment

Well my GBB tried to molt early hours this morning standing up with legs up in the air it then laid on its side but when I check on it hours later it was upright with only the abdomen and back out but all legs and fangs were still stuck I tried to hep free what i could with a small paint brush and some warm water but unfortunately I was too late my GBB was already dead presumably due to stress of not being able to get out of the molt

He/she will be sadly missed I do have a juvie but was looking forward to rearing one from sling and observing it grow and go through its colour changes

Thanks for all the advice given it was greatly appreciated

Comment

Aw mate, sorry to hear that,its one of those things when raising slings,not all will survive!my advice would be get some more,if you get 2-3, you will be ok! once again sorry for your lose.

Comment

Cheers mate tell me about it I bought 4 Avicularia purpurea and 2 Avicularia sp rio madre and sadly all of them died don't think I added enough cross ventilation only real species I've had a problem raising but from what I hear they are a bit tricky I have a Avicularia Versicolor sling left after losing one and this one looks like it's gonna start getting its adult colours next molt so I think I'm finally getting the hang of it (touch wood) may have to get another GBB sling though love this species but really want some more Avicularia purpurea absolutely stunning spiders! Sadly the spider shop don't have any more so will have to wait

Thanks again sucks when you loose a T specially one I tried so hard to keep alive

Comment

It happens.... Do not beat your self up about it.....
                        I got 3 B.vagans slings 2 years ago. 2 female and one male. he matured about 2 week ago and one of my females died yesterday... no rhyme or reason. she just died. The same with my A.versi slings. I got 3 and 2 just died one is living on strong.... They was all kept in the same way. but 2 just died. I had 6 p.mirinus slings and now i only have 4... 2 of them just died....
                        i had a b.smithi sling for 2 years and that died while moulting....
                        It is a crushing blow to lose any T. and no one out side the hobby will ever realise how much you become attached to your pets.
                        But the painful truth is, sometimes they just die...
                        “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Cheers Lee your right people outside the hobby don't understand all I got was "what's up with ya it's just a spider" but it's not it's something I put a lot of love and care in and is quite crushing when you loose one as you wonder what you did wrong I understand they can sometimes die for no reason but it's still gutting when it happens but thanks once again for the reassurance that it just happens and something Ill just have to get used to

Comment

Working...
                          X