G Rosea egg sack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G Rosea egg sack

OMG, i just checked my grammy as she hasn't moved for a few days (nothing unusual their) i lifted the lid and no movement so i got a small paint brush to see if i could move here to make sure she is OK, and she became defencive, hmmm strange??? she moved a bit more and much to my surprise there is an eggsac loaded with eggs........she must have been pregnant when i got her!

OK next question........what the hell do i do next?????? first time T Dad here!!!!!
    Last edited by Aragorn Davies; 05-12-11, 01:40 AM.

OK so i was a little excited,,any advice would be appreciated and well recieved...and a couple of pics and plenty of reading to do...

Click image for larger version

Name:	G Rosea 1st Egg sack 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	94242Click image for larger version

Name:	G Rosea 1st egg sack 2.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	94243
    Last edited by Aragorn Davies; 05-12-11, 12:12 AM.

Comment

ok so some questions.....

can i tell if the eggs are fertilised?

Once a male and female G Rosea mate how long will it take for the female to produce an eggsac?

once mated is it possible for her to store the sperm for a latter date?

Should i leave the eggsac with her if so for how long?

Do i need to up the humidity and or temperature in here enclosure?

if i leave the sac do i remove the nymphs(eggs with legs) or wait till they are fully formed.?

if i was to pull the sac what would be the best method for incubation?

an i guess keeping the slings would be in the same kind of environment as the adult but micro versions and feed on pin heads ?

Many thanks

Aragorn
      Last edited by Aragorn Davies; 05-12-11, 01:39 AM.

Comment

OK some progress she has rolled the eggsac into a ball....

Click image for larger version

Name:	G Rosea 1st eggsac 4.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	94244Click image for larger version

Name:	G Rosea 1st eggsac 5.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	94245

I am hoping this will be fertilised and viable

Comment

Well she hasn't moved the sack from the original position and its not really well covered in webbing , plus its starting to smell so for sure the eggsac cannot be viable,,,shame that.....but not a total loss as i have been reading plenty learnt a great deal and have constructed an incubator ....so i will be better prepared for the next one....which will be planned lol...thanks for ya help....

Comment

just saw this!
            sorry it seems the sac isn't viable...is there a chance some eggs are ok? might be worth incubating any that look to be alright just in case!
            really hope you have another chance mate
            not the easiest species to breed from what i've heard. i've not had a chance to try yet myself
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
              just saw this!
              sorry it seems the sac isn't viable...is there a chance some eggs are OK? might be worth incubating any that look to be alright just in case!
              really hope you have another chance mate
              not the easiest species to breed from what I've heard. I've not had a chance to try yet myself
              thanks james, might have been ok if i had been prepared for it, but as i wasn't because i didn't know she was gravid until i saw the eggs, i had to spend some time looking for info on incubating them, nobody offered any advice on here but luckily a fellow on RFUK post mailed me loads of pictures of an incubator, so i constructed one, she hadn't wrapped the eggsac properly and it was smelling quite bad, i had a look and there was loads of black and dulling eggs with a few yellow ones,,to be honest i had no idea if it was salvageable or not...

she webbed loads before finding a place to lay the eggs and was eating and drinking lots also, i believe that there was just to much disturbance as she was i the front room and everybody was having a good old look...also i think she did not have adequate shelter..

I have converted my gym into a gym/T room, as i plan to get lots more T's and i have constructed a simple incubator as i really want to breed...i have a Male stirmi who when mature i will put him out for a 50/50 and i am going to buy a male Grammy to mate with mine, after her next molt..plus i am expecting my L Klugi and P Murinus Tomorrow so depending on sex i will try and get the opposite and try with them...still any advice you have on Incubation would be most welcome....

Comment

I have a male rosie you can have.
                “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Corless View Post
                  I have a male rosie you can have.
                  Hello Lee, many thanks! would that be for a breeding loan? or for a price?

Comment

Just sent you a PM

Comment

I do not want anything for him. He was sent by mistake so i got him free, and i have no use for him. All i ask is that you pay for the postage.
                      “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Corless View Post
                        I do not want anything for him. He was sent by mistake so i got him free, and i have no use for him. All i ask is that you pay for the postage.
                        Be my pleasure, PM me and we can get it sorted....

Comment

from what i hear, getting a Grammie to drop a sac is the hard part...
                          i don't know if the next bit is all that much easier, but getting a sac in the first place arguably means your conditions were bang on in the tank. she must've felt happy to commit all that protein and nutrition into eggs. if it got a bit stressful after that, i suppose it may've led to the sac being left, but alot can go wrong regardless so no sense blaming yourself.
                          given porteri and rosea are from pretty cool, dry areas, incubation should be pretty simple in theory...just the privacy that's the main concern.
                          i just found a Chilobrachys female sat on a sac now and i'm hoping to God i didn't disturb her too much checking!

recently i've had immense success from just leaving the female totally alone (no water or anything) for the entire gestation (if that's the right word). i've managed two sacs of Tapinauchenius subcaerulus and one Psalmopoeus pulcher sac using that method.
                          if i'm expecting them to drop though i will usually try to water before they make the sac to the point where the substrate will stay moist for the duration...but that's only with humid species like Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius...not for G rosea/porteri

hope that helps a bit for next time. i find the less you bother the spider the greater your chance of success (though stuff can still go wrong, and incubation is sometimes a necessity)
                          Last edited by James Box; 13-12-11, 06:24 PM.
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

from what i hear, getting a Grammie to drop a sac is the hard part...
                            i don't know if the next bit is all that much easier, but getting a sac in the first place arguably means your conditions were bang on in the tank. she must've felt happy to commit all that protein and nutrition into eggs.
                            hmmm thats interesting that you say that, i wondered whether that was the case, i have kept the tank around the same temp in the T Room so i hope that i may be able to duplicated this..if she will lay another? even so, weather permitting i should be receiving a male on Friday, so i may give her time to recover, then see how she feel about mating, i have to say i have read lots about the minimal diet that G Rosea can survive on and the fasting periods, but she takes food whenever i put it in there which leads me to wonder if there is another reason that she feeds so well......her abdomen is quite large its not like she is hungry!

if it got a bit stressful after that, i suppose it may've led to the sac being left, but allot can go wrong regardless so no sense blaming yourself.
                            i think this was the major error, everybody wanted to have a look, so there was lots of lid on and off while people looked, i figured she was OK as she sat over the eggs she had layed but she just didn't wrap them up into a proper ball,,got me? i can only put it down to stress..makes sense what you say though, i guess when i am so inexperienced at this bit of it allot can go wrong....

given porteri and rosea are from pretty cool, dry areas, incubation should be pretty simple in theory...just the privacy that's the main concern.
                            To be honest thats the bit that i was unsure off the incubation process, i made the unit but was unsure of temps and humidity, i read lots but again, its one of those things, here i am with a bunch of eggs that are smelling off, the spider has left them, and i am not sure what to do with them, i guess once you have got it right once then your on ya way, there was loads too must have been 200+ eggs...the privacy bit that is sorted though they are all in the new T Room, so if she goes again then noooo disturbance at all!!!!

i just found a Chilobrachys female sat on a sac now and I'm hoping to God i didn't disturb her too much checking!
                            Lol i am glad i am not the only worrier,,seems to me like you know what ya doing..and good luck with it, i hope you have good success with it!

recently I've had immense success from just leaving the female totally alone (no water or anything) for the entire gestation (if that's the right word). I've managed two sacs of Tapinauchenius subcaerulus and one Psalmopoeus pulcher sac using that method.
                            if I'm expecting them to drop though i will usually try to water before they make the sac to the point where the substrate will stay moist for the duration...but that's only with humid species like Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius...not for G rosea/porteri
                            Nature or nurture, seems like mama knows just what she is doing right, and you cant knock the success of it so seems like good advice to me, and i guess i will learn a thing or to in the process of whatching...i do feel like i need more info on the incubation process? do you leave the eggs with mum right up till she breaks them out herself or past eggs with legs stage, when do "you" collect them? i have read that after 4 weeks then incubate, or wait till eggs with legs then incubate, can be a bit confusing

hope that helps a bit for next time. i find the less you bother the spider the greater your chance of success (though stuff can still go wrong, and incubation is sometimes a necessity)
                            Most certainly does help and thank you!

Cheers

Aragorn

Comment

Originally posted by Aragorn Davies View Post

i think this was the major error, everybody wanted to have a look, so there was lots of lid on and off while people looked, i figured she was OK as she sat over the eggs she had layed but she just didn't wrap them up into a proper ball,,got me? i can only put it down to stress..makes sense what you say though, i guess when i am so inexperienced at this bit of it allot can go wrong....

when do "you" collect them? i have read that after 4 weeks then incubate, or wait till eggs with legs then incubate, can be a bit confusing

I pulled my geniculata's egg sac a few days ago after 2 months. Once she had laid the eggs and rolled the sac i covered the container with a towel and ignored her except to top up the water bowl by pouring water slowly through the lid. At no time did i move the container she was in as i didnt want her disturbed at all.
                              I opened the sac and now have 593 N2's. The idea next time will be to add together the 8 weeks that i left the sac with mum and the amount of time it takes from N2 to sling and then I'll minus 1 week, that will be the amount of time that i'll leave the sac with the female before pulling it.

Comment

Working...
                              X