Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patiently waiting for new T's...oh come on please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patiently waiting for new T's...oh come on please....

Well i have ordered my Pterinochilus Murinus, Lasiodora klugi ..really looking forward to getting these they are slings so any advice and tips welcome, i have been reading about them so hopefully will get the habitats right. Also got some red runner roaches hopefully to start a colony.....just got to wait now for delivery....waiting waiting waiting.......

and with some luck i will be recieving 4x Thrixopelma ockerti also...
    Last edited by Aragorn Davies; 08-12-11, 10:32 AM. Reason: update

Well today is a good day, i received my Pterinochilus Murinus sling and Lasiodora klugi juv(looks like a sling) by recorded delivery,....they are settled in to there new enclosures in the T Room.. lets just hope that at least on will be a female...also got the red runners to start a colony as i am fed up with buying 5 boxes of crickets at a time...happy days!! also expecting the delivery of a Male Grammostola Rosea on friday.....no joy on the 4x Thrixopelma ockerti chap seems to take forever to reply to emails...busy lives i guess....

Comment

nice one on the new spiders!
      i know Peter Lacey who i think still posts on occasion started with a beautiful big L klugi.

one thing, i think red runners may be a red herring...i did the same as you as it's very frustrating and expensive buying crickets all the time. i now have a large colony of red runners and barely anything will touch them...also i have a sneaking suspicion they've been responsible for a few spider deaths. when you try them make sure the spider eats them right away or i'd remove them...
      sorry to be the barer of bad news there. they're fun roaches to have anyway though.
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
        nice one on the new spiders!
        i know Peter Lacey who i think still posts on occasion started with a beautiful big L klugi.

one thing, i think red runners may be a red herring...i did the same as you as it's very frustrating and expensive buying crickets all the time. i now have a large colony of red runners and barely anything will touch them...also i have a sneaking suspicion they've been responsible for a few spider deaths. when you try them make sure the spider eats them right away or I'd remove them...
        sorry to be the barer of bad news there. they're fun roaches to have anyway though.
        L Klugi does look like an awesome beasty and i would say i cant wait for mine to mature .....but....i have some time to wait as its tiny lol,, so i have no choice...just got to hope its a female!!

Thanks for the heads up on the red runners, i will bare that in mind the absolute last thing i want is my feeders to feed on my T's,, jheeeeeez that would hack me off, i guess small roaches for the spiders and my Savannah monitor lizard will eat all the rest hungry thing that it is, my brother also has a Savannah so he will be pleased for the free food......

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post

one thing, i think red runners may be a red herring...i did the same as you as it's very frustrating and expensive buying crickets all the time. i now have a large colony of red runners and barely anything will touch them..
          What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James, what are you smoking ????

I have thousands of red runners and almost all of my 300 spids are fed on them.
          They have got to be the best feeders I've ever used in the last 30 years. Period.
          The only feeder roaches that I find are extremely overrated are dubia. I have dozens of spiders that wont touch them AND the bloody things just burrow immediately they touch the substrate whereas the red runners just run around until eaten. Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post

lmao

They have got to be the best feeders I've ever used in the last 30 years. Period.
            The only feeder roaches that I find are extremely overrated are dubia. I have dozens of spiders that wont touch them AND the bloody things just burrow immediately they touch the substrate whereas the red runners just run around until eaten. Click Here
            THAT'S INSANE, jheeez i am guessing you don't want any to escape seeing as that lot started from 70 adults, what temps do you keep them at and what food do you use for them? i am guessing cat food some veg and at around 80f.....how long did it take to get that many?

Comment

i'd agree about the dubias, though one or two of my bigger lasses take them occasionally.
              you're having that much success with the red runners? i guess i should keep trying. it's just that i found some suspiciously dead scorps and spiders soon after putting red runners in, and the red runners were still running around looking very smug.
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I use red runners and dubia roaches. I use the very large dubias for the biggest of my Ts, and I drop them near to their front legs so they can pounce on them straight away. And even if they do get away then, they tend to venture out at night, as they are nocturnal, and the T gets it then anyway.

As for the red runners, they are very easy to keep, breed and look after. All the Ts take them without a problem, and as they are at all stages of life in the tank, I can pick out the right sized runner for the right T. They are fast though, and I would absolutely panic if a pregnant female escaped, as they will just breed again in some nook or cranny in the flat!

I've got both types of roaches in the same tank, which is a big plastic box with a click on lid with a narrow gauge perforated metal sheet glued into it spanning nearly edge to edge, and a heat mat underneath it.

I seem to be out of adult male red runners at the moment, so the breeding has come to a halt, but I have a healthy balance of both species.

I just feed them cat biscuits, muesli, carrots and mushrooms, and they seem happy with that.

I won't ever have to buy any nasty crickets again. They are the ones that nibble at the Ts, and if they are coming up for a molt, they aren't the best food to try with them.
                0.1.0 A. geniculata (Alice)
                0.1.0 A. versicolor (Tilly)
                0.0.1 B. boehemi (Blaze)
                1.0.0 B. smithi (Carlos)
                0.0.1 C. elegans (Ellie)
                0.1.0 C. fasciatum (Tia)
                0.1.1 E. murinus (Phantom, Morticia)
                2.0.1 G. pulchripes (Freddie, Six, Eve)
                0.2.0 G. rosea (Rosie, Bonnie)
                0.0.1 H. maculata (Macy)
                0.0.1 L. parahybana (Sally)
                0.1.1 N. chromatus (Medusa, Pepper)