Please help, my B Smithi has escaped :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help, my B Smithi has escaped :(

Hello everyone. I am really hoping that one of you could perhaps offer me some advice. Although I've done a lot of reading I am brand new at keeping taraantulas, and my first B smithi, a sub adult female, has escaped. She's been gone a week tomorrow. I've made hides, left out water dishes and crickets in her enclosure which I've put on the floor, and sprinkled flour on the floor to track footprints, and still nothing. How do I find her? Will sticky paper hurt her? I'm completely mortified, so upset, and we've looked everywhere and kept towels under the doors to stop any further movoment. Please help I would be indebted to you forever if it helped find her. Freddie x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Best thing to do if she has been gone this long is to start dimantling your room slowly and methodically. Start at ground level behind things as B.smith are unlikley to go up being terrestrial. Behind TV's is a good place as it is often warm. Underneath sofas is also goos as it is dark.

Good hunting and dont panic wherever she is she will be fine.
    Ray
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

I think you shoud do the hunting at night using a torch starting near the heating zones. Good luck

Comment

I've had another hunt to no avail. Is it likely she would have gone out of the window? How long can she cope on her own? ÃŒs it common that they get loose and or recaptured? Will she bite me in my sleep? If sshe does I don't care, if it means I know she's ok!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you should try huntings from time to time and keep calm; If she had gone out she would probably die due to the english winter weather; if she is at home she´ll probably be alive; if she weres frightened or upset she might stay for week or evenmonths hidden in a tiny place so it would be difficultt to find it during this time; I don´t thing she is going to bite you and, besides, she is not a dangerour spider anyway; Have you removed everything from the terrarium???; sometimes we think they have escaped and they are hidden or buried in the cage. Try to lear from the experience and think about the reasons of her runaway and how you can avoid it in the future. Are you keeping more Ts?

Comment

Please help, my B Smithi has escaped

She is my one and only. Up most of the night looking yesterday, and today all day and still nothing.
            Last edited by Frederica Patmore; 03-01-12, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111223-00022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	94251She's definately not still in her enclosure

This is her, my Eloise, isn't she beautiful
              Last edited by Frederica Patmore; 03-01-12, 10:28 PM. Reason: piccy linky

Comment

she is a beauty id love one of these but they cost way too much for me to consider just yet but they are a personal favourite of mine i hope you find her soon

Comment

good luck mate, it's pretty awful losing one. i've been lucky so far and they've been found again, or turned up on their own with the few escapes i've had, so i hope you'll be lucky too.
                  Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                  My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words I'm pulling my hair out. Another massive hunt last night and this evening and still nothing, but my hopes are high

Comment

Please keep us updated

Hi,
                      I am new to the BTS and have joined as I am getting my first spider in April. As a new keeper to be can you please tell me how it escaped.

I really hope you find it soon and that it is ok and well

Gary

Comment

Really hope you find her
                        Acanthoscurria geniculata, Ephebopus cyanognathus, Phlogiellus sp. "Goliath", Psalmopoeus irminia, Grammostola pulchra, Acanthoscurria geniculata, Poecilotheria striata

Comment

Originally posted by RG Lewis View Post
                          Hi,
                          I am new to the BTS and have joined as I am getting my first spider in April. As a new keeper to be can you please tell me how it escaped.

I really hope you find it soon and that it is ok and well

Gary
                          Hiya Gary, it probably sounds really stupid but her substrate was really wet and the humidity was up near 90 percent, I knew that wasn't right. She has a glass lid so I left it ajar about one centimetre to increase the ventilation. The stupid bit was falling asleep forgetting it was still open. When I woke up, no Eloise

Thanks for your kind words, I'm desperate to find her

Comment

Hi, thank you for your quick reply, I am sure she will be found safe just keep positive after all she has to be somewhere doesn't she. keep us informed , thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FredericaPatmore View Post
                              Hiya Gary, it probably sounds really stupid but her substrate was really wet and the humidity was up near 90 percent, I knew that wasn't right. She has a glass lid so I left it ajar about one centimetre to increase the ventilation. The stupid bit was falling asleep forgetting it was still open. When I woke up, no Eloise

Thanks for your kind words, I'm desperate to find her
                              Now that takes me back 30 years lol.
                              I left the glass lid off on my Brachypelma vagans container and as it was a warm summers day fell asleep on the bed only to wake to find one of my meanest spiders no longer in her home eeeek.
                              Looked everywhere for her but with it being a hot day the windows were open and I sort of figured she had made here escape into the Shropshire countryside
                              Went to go to bed that night pulled back the duvet to find one peed off B.vagans not the sort of bedfellow you would dream off
                              So silly things happen to us all just learn from them and I do hope you find your spider

ChrisS.

Comment

Working...
                              X