singapore blue 1 leg missing:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• singapore blue 1 leg missing:(

Hello there i have a Singapore who molted 6 days ago.She should be about 4 cm now but the blue markings started to show a bit so i think its a female.What i have noticed is that she is missing a leg( It is the front big one next to the little ones in front of her fangs( That makes feeding a bit hard for her but she still manages..Before she mots she had all her legs i dont know why that happened((

My question is:will she be able to regenerate this leg on her next molt or she will probably stay like that forever??I have read that she should be but i would like to know your opinion if anyone else had the same experience with me.

Thank you!

Yes, it will regenerate the leg over the next 1-3 moults and be as good as new eventually. If it's not fully regenerated after the next moult it may be quite short or thin but don't worry it will improve with each moult. The "little legs" are called pedipalps
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Really happy to hear that) i feed sad for her,before the molt she was attacking anything on her site even if she was almost half size..now she is struggling when i throw a cricket but still she manages.

Thanks for the hint about the little legs also:P

take care!

Comment

Thats why they have 8 legs so if one goes missing it wont effect them

I had a female Bonnetina cyanifemur which had 2 missing rear legs and a missing palp at some point so when I got her these limbs were smaller thinner than the ones she hadnt lost and with the next molt in my care they were almost perfect.

So dont worry they are amazing little creatures arnt they.

ChrisS.

Comment

Don't fret to much over lost limbs they will return.
          Damaged legs are more serious, however the spider should remove these damaged legs itself and this is why they have a safety valve at the base of the leg, which closes off instantly and stems any loss of blood.

I have personally seen an five inch span Heteropoda sp hunting and eating in the wild with only three legs.

Yes before you ask yes we did nickname it tripod. Lol

Cheers
          Mark
          Last edited by Mark Pennell; 03-02-12, 09:00 AM.

------------------------------------------------------
          Serious Ink tattoo studio -
          Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I bought 5 Poecilotheria striata slings about a year ago. One of them had a terrible moult and lost 4 legs! 2 of the remaining 4 legs were damaged as it tried to free itself from it's old skin. I didn't think it had much of a chance. I gave it a good week to harden up, and started feeding it pre killed crickets. It fed 3 times before it moulted again about 3 weeks later, regenerating all the missing legs.

Since then it's moulted 3 or 4 times and is doing fine. What surprised me the most, was how it almost escaped it's sling pot on one occasion. It flew up the cork bark slab and onto the rim of the jar in a split second with 4 legs!

Your T will be fine.

Jamie
            Last edited by Jamie Cooper; 03-02-12, 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
            My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
              I bought 5 Poecilotheria striata slings about a year ago. One of them had a terrible moult and lost 4 legs! 2 of the remaining 4 legs were damaged as it tried to free itself from it's old skin. I didn't think it had much of a chance. I gave it a good week to harden up, and started feeding it pre killed crickets. It fed 3 times before it moulted again about 3 weeks later, regenerating all the missing legs.

Since then it's moulted 3 or 4 times and is doing fine. What surprised me the most, was how it almost escaped it's sling pot on one occasion. It flew up the cork bark slab and onto the rim of the jar in a split second with 4 legs!

Your T will be fine.

Jamie
              Why a bad moult can happened? Lack of moisture? Lack of nutrition? I ask so no one else having the same experience, hopefully.

And yeah, sling is fast... >.<"
              my spiders gallery in deviant art: http://teru-shinju.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by the ming cu View Post
                Why a bad moult can happened? Lack of moisture? Lack of nutrition? I ask so no one else having the same experience, hopefully.

And yeah, sling is fast... >.<"
                To be honest, I'm not sure why it had so much difficulty moulting. I had only had the spider for a couple of days and it seemed to be in good health. I've only ever lost 1 spiderling due to a bad moult in nearly 3 years.

Despite this it has moulted several times since without any issues.

Bad moults can happen for several reasons. Lack of internal hydration I think is the most common problem among others.

Jamie
                My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                X