Best Housing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Housing advice

Hi all, as a new member I am after another bit of advice please. I have a Brachypelma Smithi juvenile about 5/6cm, now my intention was to get a adult female but after a lot of consideration I decided on a juvenile which I am really very pleased with.
    As I planned on a adult female I bought a 45/45/45 cm Exo-terra Tank which is really good but I think it maybe to big.

I have been offered a 30/30/30cm Exo-terra and I am thinking it will be a much better size for my T.

Can anyone please advise on the best size to use.

I am pretty much up on looking after her (it) and I did a lot of research before getting her from the internet and the TKG but I may have made a error on the tank size.

Thanks in advance
    Gary

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum!

You can't really have a tank that is too big as the natural habitat of a spider is obviously a great deal bigger than any tank you can provide. However, you could certainly get away with something a lot smaller than that for a spider of that size. In a bigger tank you might just need to keep an eye on it to make sure that its coming into contact with its food which shouldn't really be an issue considering how active crickets and roaches are.

Even for an adult B. smithi though, I wouldn't use the 45x45x45. It'd really appreciate the floor space but it's quite a tall tank and unless you crammed it full of substrate (which would involve sacrificing the front opening doors) it would be a bit too tall and the risk of the spider falling and injuring itself would be a fair bit higher.
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Wow !!!! Thats a lot of space for a little spider
      I wouldnt keep a 2 inch spider in anything larger than a 7 x 5 x 3 but you could get the 12 in cube for later for when she's an adult.

Something like this would be ideal (i use these almost exclusively for my juveniles)

Comment

Working...
      X