Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.lividum breeding advice/notes

Hi all,

I attempted my first ever breeding yesterday. I paired a mature male with my adult female. The day after i bought him i notices a sperm web in his tank and he wouldnt settle. Put both tanks on the floor and ushered the male into the females enclosure. She was deep in her burrow as always. He didnt seem interested at first and just wanted to escape whenever i prodded him towards the females silk. Immediately on touching the silk he started shaking and waving his front legs and tapping them on the entrance to the burrow. The female was non responsive so he went deeper into hells mouth. There he carried on shaking and tapping and all of a sudden the female appeared. She was so calm i was amazed. They proceeded to mate for around 3 minutes. She never left the hole of the burrow. He eventually managed to get beneath her and managed a couple of insertions. He came back up but then went back down and definately had a number of good insertions. At that point the female was getting anxious as his spurs were holding her fangs and she didnt like it. He made a quick escape and was put back in his tank. I got it all on video and is an amazing view.

Does anyone have any notes or reccomendations on how long it takes for this species to produce a sac? Also are there any conditioning routines i need to follow such as temp/humidity? Iv searched on the web and theres too much conflicting info.
    Im going to try the male again in a weeks time just to make sure. And ill start feeding her up just in case.

Any informed info will be well appreciated..

Thanks
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Hi,

Good luck with your breeding! My method was quite simple when I first produced a eggsac of H. lividum and it took around 3 months to get the sac. I misted more frequently after mating and fed her up. I have however done this since with two females back in July and have seen nothing from these yet sadly... They are due to moult soon so it looks like the window has passed this time sadly.

They don't seem to be a easy species to breed to me, but unsure how useful my male was second time round as he was very old by then!

If you decide to loan your mature male, I will happily give mine another go when they moult.

Regards

Comment

Well done! Sounds like you witnessed a good pairing! A sign of a good pairing with this species is the vigourous cleaning act the female performs afterwards, or so I'm told. In clear discomfort, the female frantically rubs the underside of her abdomen and pedipalps. I have only attempted to breed this species twice and witnessed this on both occasions - sacs were laid both times.

I currently have a female nursing a 26 day old sac. As far as offering advice goes, I'm still a complete noob when it comes to breeding. This is only my second attempt. I had a failed attempt last year when the same female ditched her sac after about 3 weeks.

I didn't change any conditions inside the tank after pairing. Here are some dates:

First pairing: 26.11.2011
      Second pairing: 04.12.2011

On 27.12.2011 the female discarded her burrow and made a new one.

Egg sac laid: 21.01.2012

To my advantage, her new burrow runs right down the side of the tank, giving me full viewing access without disturbing her. I hope this helps, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Jamie
      My Collection:

Comment

Working...
      X