Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.subfusca sling temps

Hi,

Would i be ok in putting my subfusca highland and lowland slings in my heated cabinet with my other T's? Its kept at a constant 27c. I know subfusca are from a cool but humid area and the reccomended temps are 16 to 21c max for adults, but i powerfeed my other breeding slings and keep them warmer than normal to maximise growth times. I want the subfusca to grow quickly but they dont have the appitite of the other t's that are kept a lot warmer. im hoping and expecting their appitites to increase with the heat.

Is keeping subfusca at lower temps just important for breeding and pre conditioning? or all through their life from slings?

Hope somebody has some experience of keeping these lovely spiders and can advise me.

Thanks
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

They are called highland and lowland for a reason.
    Lowlands are from the 'lowlands' where it is warm/hot and highlands are from a mountainous region where it is much cooler and wetter, much like the UK's weather.
    So by your reasoning, it is OK to keep polar bears or penguins in warmer temperatures because in theory their metabolism will faster in a warmer temperatures than they evolved in. ?!
    They are your spiders so only you can make that decision.
    Have a read HERE . . 3rd paragraph

Comment

Well we all know tarantulas grow faster by feeding more and keeping at higher temps. But i wouldnt go so far as to compare a spider to a mammals metabolism. Obviously a mammal doesnt respond to changes in body temperature well at all. But tarantulas obtain their heat from the environment around them as we all know.

My question was would it be harmful to the spider. Ok lets say the highland then, to be kept at higher temperatures in captivity than it would experience in the wild? In order to influence its growth rate as with other species..?

I contacted Lee@tss and he said it would be fine to put both high and lowland in the heated cabinet. I was unsure about this thats why i thought id ask on here. Genuine question nothing to do with arctic mammals or flightless birds...
      David Attenborough:
      ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Thanks for the link though. Interesting to understand where they originate from. At least i now know that i can keep the lowland at a higher temp than i am.
        David Attenborough:

Comment

Can I ask why you why you power feed your slings? FWIW I keep my highland at lower temps, even as a sling and it's thrived.

Comment

Have you read THIS and THIS which may help you decide.
            Last edited by Peter Roach; 28-02-12, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks Peter!
              David Attenborough:

Comment

Working...
              X