Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.Maculata question

Hiya all,

After having T's for some time I've decided to try keeping some 'slings. So over to the spider shop and picked up 3 lovely little angels (starburst,Suntiger and pinktoe). Had them deliveried on Friday and got them all set up in their new homes. Give them afew days to settle in and then let them have food. Now the Suntiger and the Pinktoed both have been eating fine but my Starburst hasn't even gone after anything that I've put into his 'tub'. Anyone know if there is anything I should be doing different or just give him time? Thanks

May be pre-molt. I have had a few slings that have moulted very soon after arriving (my p.metallica I got at SEAS managed to moult in the car on the way home)

Comment

Assuming the spider appears to be healthy (no signs of injury, walks normally, abdomen not overly small or shriveled etc.), just give it time and don't worry. Wait a week and offer food again. It might not hurt if you give the spider some water. You don't know the conditions it was kept before or when it had a drink last time.
      Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
      "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
      "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Thanks for your answer's guys, he did indeed shed last night/this morning. Woke up to find the skin on the outside of his little home. Will leave him for a day or so and get some food to him. Thanks again

Comment

I would leave him/he for a week or two, not just for a few days. The T needs time to harden off and settle in.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Roach View Post
            I would leave him/he for a week or two, not just for a few days. The T needs time to harden off and settle in.
            I agree, I always wait one week at the very least after a molt before offering food. You should not offer food unless the fangs have completely darkened.
            Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
            "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
            "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Working...
            X