Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filled radiator question...

Hi guys

My collection has got to the point where iv got too many heat mats running and too many extension leads. Im thinking of buying and oil filled radiator for the T room. The room is roughly 12 feet by 14 feet. At first i was thinking of getting an 800w oil filled radiator so not to break the bank electricity wise but reading through reviews im now thinking a 1.5 to 2kw radiator would suffice, as i've read that an 800w can take a lot longer to heat the room up than a 2kw radiator, therefore the smaller radiator would use more energy, then they would both, once the required temp is reached would use the same amount of electricity. So it would be worth getting the 2kw heater?

Could anyone tell me what the running costs are for a 2kw oil filled radiator? I will be keeping it on the thermostat set at 26 degrees for the room then drop down at night so it would be on for an average of 12 hours per day roughly. Do they add a lot to your monthly bill? Im guessing it would be around £20 ish per month? The heat mats are cheap as chips to run but im sick of being limited to using certain parts of the room whereas with a radiator the whole room would be to the correct temp and i can put the enclosures anywhere.

I've read this link from a previous discussion and am thinking of getting the same radiator as the next to last post on the page.

Thanks
    Kyle
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Yup that was me! I bought this bad boy about a month ago. It's a great heater, I have absolutely no idea how much it is costing me to run though, so I can't help you there I'm afraid. Time will tell I guess. I currently have it set at 23 degrees coming on at 8.00am each morning and going off at 6.00pm at night - so 10 hours usage per day. Having never used one before I have nothing to compare it to, but it certainly does the job. 10 years warranty too!

My spider room is about the same size as yours and it gets really hot in there. I break a sweat just feeding and watering them! I also use an air purifier. Hope this helps.

Jamie

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1306494522...#ht_1411wt_905
    My Collection:

Comment

Jamie just the man! Yeah i was hoping you'd reply with your experience of that heater. I've found it on Amazon a bit cheaper so think ill go for the same as you've got. I just needed an idea of electric usage/cost but i dont expect it to use a lot. That model seems good as its got good climate control on it to keep stable temps. Loads of good reviews too on the net.

My heat mats only seem to cost me literally pennies per day but sick of seeing all my spiders hugged up against the warmer side of the tanks where the mats are. Thats another reason i want a radiator to create an even constant temperature in the room.

Thanks for the reply anyway mate!

Kyle
      David Attenborough:
      ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Yeah I got fed up with the heat mats too. Like you, I was sick of the restricted areas I could place my enclosures and couldn't add to my collection without buying more heatmats. Plus I was never that keen on having so many plugs and extension leads everywhere, I had nightmares about the room catching fire - LOL!

I rehoused all my T's after getting the heater and have noticed that they now occupy all of the enclosure space and aren't glued to the back wall where the heat source used to be. I think they are much better off this way.

I would highly recommend the heater. Good luck!

Jamie
        My Collection:

Comment

I use this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dimplex-Elec...4180097&sr=1-3
          Expensive to buy but excellent. I have it on permanently, albeit with the thermostat set to 24 degrees. In summer it is on relatively little, in winter obviously more. It heats up very quickly, however, and so is actually "on" for only short periods

Whichever one you get, anything is better than heatmats

Comment

Thanks. i got one last week and it is a lot better than the mats. room at a cinstant 25 in the day and 22 at night. Ts more active already and i see them out more.50quid for the radiator too. lovely jubbly
            David Attenborough:

Comment

mine are in the front room and are heated with a small 0.5kw oil filled radiater due to being unwell and might be for a long time i am thinking of having a 3 6foot buy 2foot vivs made and heat inside the vivs as the rest of the clan ant happy with the warm room lol this will give the same floor space as a 8foot 6foot shed when i am better ive got a inserlated 16foot shed or a spare room

Comment

Working...
              X