Ceratogyrus maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceratogyrus maybe?

Hi, I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on a little spider I have. I bought her at the BTS show last year as a spiderling C. darlingi. She has just moulted and is in excellent health. I have only kept C. meridionalis before when it comes to this genus, so please forgive my naivety. She just doesn't look anything like a darlingi. Her colouration is very dark grey, with black femurs. There are no discerable markings as is common with African species and no horn. There is lustre to her coat, more common in Chilobrachys sp. and Australian tarantulas, and she is leggy, leg span 6.5 cm. Her carapace shape is also more in common with Asian species rather than African ones. Picture given below (sorry about the size and quality, its the best I could get). If you can identify the little thing I'd be grateful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00029.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	96304
    Last edited by Nicola Dolby; 04-04-12, 12:17 PM.
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Definately not a C.darlingi. And doesn't look like Ceratogyus either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruan Lambrechts View Post
      Definately not a C.darlingi. And doesn't look like Ceratogyus either.
      Agreed.

You've gotta admit Nicola, thats a really bad photo I can tell that its a spider but thats about all LOL

Comment

Definately not Ceratogyrus as everyone else says. It's unlikely anyone will be able to tell what it is from a photo, even a better one but it's almost certainly from the Selenocosmiinae subfamily. Those thick legs are quite distinctive, maybe it'll help somebody narrow it down a bit.
        www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks, yes I know its a horrible photo. Worse is that with the naked eye her colouration is a lot darker, almost like a minax. She isn't Haplopelma though, her carapace shape is all wrong. More rounded like an Ornithoctonus or Chilobrachys. Still she's eating well and has webbed a lot since emerging from her moult (which again made me think of Chilobrachys, a genus I know very little about). She's not sp. Aladdin though, her colouration is all wrong for that one. Thanks for trying anyway!
          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Looks a bit Coremiocnemis to me or possibly Phlogius.
            If it is African I'd guess a Hysterocrates species.
            Last edited by craig mcinnes; 07-04-12, 03:50 PM.
            Put your arms around me
            Fiddly digits, itchy britches
            I love you all

Comment

Working...
            X