Using Heatpacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Heatpacks?

The Spider Shop recommend using them between October - March. But it still gets pretty cold at night and it's late April. Is there a temperature guide that you guys use to know when to use heat packs in your packages?

Any advice is greaty appreciated.

Jamie
    My Collection:

Hi Jamie,

I usually put them in when the temp could reach below 10 to maybe 8 degrees just to be on the safe side, (especially for the more fragile species), hardier species could probably be ok overnight with temps down to 5 degrees, checking the weather forecast online for your area and the destination is a must.

I've never had a problem before doing this. I'd rather put one in just incase, than not put one in and risk it.

That's my opinion but i'm sure other people do it differently...
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Its always best to use them if the temperature is (or below) 4°C I usually find, don't forget to check the night time temps also.

Comment

I'm always careful if the day time temps are forecast to be high. It's much easier to overheat a spider than to freeze it. A heat pack on a hot day in a little box with limited oxygen is a recipe for disaster. If in doubt, don't send and wait for a day with a better balance between the day and night. Most tarantulas are very hardy though and capable of coping with both extremes pretty well.
        www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

[QUOTE=Craig Mackay: A heat pack on a hot day in a little box with limited oxygen is a recipe for disaster. If in doubt, don't send and wait for a day with a better balance between the day and night.[/QUOTE]

Ditto to that...
          David Attenborough:
          ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Advice noted.

Originally posted by Craig Mackay View Post
            I'm always careful if the day time temps are forecast to be high. It's much easier to overheat a spider than to freeze it. A heat pack on a hot day in a little box with limited oxygen is a recipe for disaster.
            Craig, what would you call a high temperature? Over 15 degrees? For example this week, the temps are:

Daytime: Sun: 12 Mon: 13 Tues: 13 Wed: 11
            Nightime: Sun: 4 Mon: 6 Tues: 5 Wed: 6

Would you use a heat pack if shipping at these temperatures? Looking at the night time temps I think I would have to. Would you agree?

Jamie
            My Collection:

Comment

Yeah, I'd probably throw one in to be on the safe side. I was thinking more when it gets to the high teens/low twenties. Just make sure that it isn't close to the spider or the edge of the box and it'll take the edge off the cold without royal mail getting suspicious of a warm box.

Comment

Thanks for the info Craig. Yeah that makes sense. I've just bought a load from TSS as I'll be shipping a few packages over the next few weeks. With any luck the weather will pick up, but let's not hold our breath - LOL.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Jamie
                My Collection:

Comment

By the way, I'm always really careful about making sure there is no heat coming out the box. I had someone post some spiders to me once and the heat pack was attached to the side of the box. Royal mail felt the heat and found it suspicious and opened the parcel, found the spiders and called the RSPCA to collect them. It was a bit of a hassle but in the end the guy was able to collect them from the RSPCA and resend them but we both could've done without the attention.

Comment

Working...
                  X