frozen magots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen magots

was feeding the slings magots but stoped due to the flyes i think i read some were they can be frozen will that be ok and as anyone tryed it

you have to be careful about them sticking together (nightmare to separate when frozen!) but i seem to remember hearing that they'll take them thawed.
    maggots are nutritious and cheap and easy to get if you're near a tackle shop...but they smell, are very prone to escaping, and of course they become flies.
    if you can suss freezing them so that they don't all stick together, and your spiders are ok with pre-killed food, i think it's a great idea.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

You can store maggots at 4 degrees C for weeks (a normal refrigerator temp). Do not use the colored version though, as some of those dyes are carcinogenic/mutagens.

Good luck.

Christian
      They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

cheers whats the best way of killing them i dont want the flys about the place ie been told boiling water

Comment

you don't get the flies if they're kept that cold...well if the spider doesn't eat it, you will get a fly in the enclosure, but not clouds of them
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Again, if stored in your refrigerator, they will stay as maggots for weeks to months. When they do pupate, they'll stay as a pupa for weeks as well, and those can be tossed in the freezer to kill them.

Also, maggots are mostly fat and protein so share your feeding experiences if you see anything!

Christian
            They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

cheers last time i had 60 ts and read put 2 or 3 magots in at a time any they miss they will eat the flys lol they dont get the maggots because they berrow then they dont eat all the flys and when it comes to missed them they get out like rockits and are all over my house for weeks lol now ive over 200 ts lol

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Elowsky View Post
                Again, if stored in your refrigerator, they will stay as maggots for weeks to months. When they do pupate, they'll stay as a pupa for weeks as well, and those can be tossed in the freezer to kill them.

Also, maggots are mostly fat and protein so share your feeding experiences if you see anything!

Christian
                cheers i will let you know if i do i might stick to the meal worms and crickits or start with breeding roach ps i had them in the frige for weeks then i froze them but stuck together will the casters stick together and will the ts take casters

Comment

Working...
                X