Species ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Species ID

Hi guys. If you'd like to throw a few guesses at the specie it would be much appreciated.
    They are an related pair bought as Antinous. Both are at the 8-10 cm range.
    Uwe

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-14 at 6.59.58 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	96330

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-14 at 7.00.46 PM.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	96331
    Last edited by Uwe Kruger; 17-05-12, 05:41 PM.

Looks more like p.vespertinus to me... My antinous (4 different sizes) has thicker body and not so clear red hairs on abdomen
    Last edited by Pekka Hiekkapelto; 18-05-12, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks Pekka. Are you keeping vespertinus ?

Comment

I do have vespertinus but still small ones. If you google vespertinus you can see that they are very much alike, especially compared to the first picture. But then of course, pictures can lie. The "antinous" on the first picture, maybe it`s very fresh molted and showing more red and green?
        Last edited by Pekka Hiekkapelto; 18-05-12, 02:55 PM.

Comment

You're right ,the first one molted a few days ago. I have looked at the vespertinus but they look like they have a lot more colour than the ones I have.

Comment

Vespertinus has the typical xmas tree marking as sling and juvenile. The T's pictured here don't, and at 7cm they would still show these markings. The photos in this thread are not very clear, but I have the full res photos and there are no xmas tree markings.

Which species of Pamphobeteus do not have those markings? I read somewhere that there are only a few species, antinous being one of them, but I can't find that page again.

Also, the red setae on the abdomen and back legs are typical of the peruvian form of antinous. This is clearly evident in the pic of the male. At least, it is in the photos I have.

I have a vested interest in these spiders, so maybe my opinion doesn't count, but I say antinous.

Comment

True about the christmas tree! But, at 8-10cm, hmm it should not be clear anyway? My pamphs lose it somewhere there, some even earlier.. but I think mr Visser might be right on the thing that this is the peruvian antinous!... just compared with my own, bought as peruvian... I guess mine are bolivian then..
              Last edited by Pekka Hiekkapelto; 20-05-12, 07:10 AM.

Comment

The T's pictured above are only 7cm. The OP gave an estimate, but they have since been measured. I have a few pamphs, and while you are right that the markings do fade considerably, even my 11cm machalla female still shows the xmas tree markings. Although not as evident as when she was a sling.

Have a look at this image of the male.

Name:	Male Dorsal.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	94298

You can see there is absolutley no markings.

Comment

Your 11cm machalla showing markings? Could this also depend on genetics and gender maybe??.. I have a machalla too, around 10 cm and no markings left... a platyomma at maybe 7-8, with veeeeery little if you look close.. about your machalla, does she still show clear purple color?? especially on femur? My female is still very purple ..

Yes, the picture is very look alike!

Comment

My machalla still shows quite a bit of maroon/purple on the femurs and carapace.

I'm not sure what you meant with your last statement Pekka. Are you referring to the pic I posted? What is it alike to? Sorry for the confusion.

To the OP: Did the male show any xmas tree markings before it molted recently?

Comment

Ok!!

Yes I was referring to your picture, sorry I forgot to say that.

Comment

I believe the picture I posted was before the molt. There havn't been any markings since in my care- sadly it has been only for a short 2 week period.

Comment

Working...
                        X