Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B. smithi about to die?

Hello people,
    I brought a 1.5” Brachypelma smithi at the BTS show. On thejourney home I noticed that she had flipped on her back in the typical ‘I’mgoing to shed and there’s nothing you can do about it’ pose. I assumed she wasn’tabout to shed because she appeared to have very bright colours and she hadn’tlaid any web whatsoever. So, I assumed that she must have just flipped overaccidently and couldn’t right herself due to the restricted space (small tub).I opened the tub and helped her very gently to which she righted herself. Sincethen she has never got into the ‘I’m about to shed’ pose but she is ever sosluggish. She stays at one point of the tank and will not move. I have tried to‘prod’ her very gently but she won’t move at all; perhaps she will move her legvery slowly and with no effort really. I’ve never witnessed this behaviourbefore.
    Her tank is currently 28C one end and 25C the other. Shespends all her time at the hot end. I have a Giant White Knee and a BrazilianBlack which appear to be very happy – particularly the Brazilian Black ashe/she loves to bulldoze.
    Anyone got any advice/ideas. I don’t think she’s got long tolive to be honest.

Very rarely will a tarantula be on its back, in fact the only times they do end up on their back is either if its fallen and landed on its back or unless its going to moult and disturbing it to "help it back over" was a silly thing to do. Id just leave it be and stop prodding it to be honest, and hope it manages to moult alright.

Comment

That's what I wrote. I don't think it was 'shedding' but it had more likely ended up on its back because it was restricted in its tub. Also, when I said I helped it turn over - it appeared like it wanted to right itself but didn't have the capacity. If I thought it was shedding then I would have left it alone.

Comment

Dont prod, dont touch and most importantly . . Turn OFF the heat.

Comment

DON't REPLY

Comment

Working...
          X