captive breeding, traceability and genetic variability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captive breeding, traceability and genetic variability

i don't know if i will be able to explain my thoughts to well and really this is just a random though that's been bugging me, i was sitting thinking about this and wondered about the effects of captive breeding and the affects of uncontrolled breeding programs, poorly defined species tagging and un-monitored distribution of the captive bred population vs genetic variation and the strength of the gene pool in the larger picture of captive breed tarantulas...i am probably thinking to much about issues that don't need to be considered but for me i just cant seem to get this idea out of my head....you see i was wondering how all these successful breeding programs where there is no monitoring of distribution will eventually lead. I brought some tarantulas and with the intention to breed then i set about buying more of the same species from a different supplier to ensure that i had two different gene pools going into the mix, however given that from these specific eggsac there was approximately 300 eggs in each individual clutch how could i be sure that the parents where indeed from different breeding stock, ok i am sure that given the breeders must think along the same line, they would insure that they included the concept of genetic diversity with there own breeding stock.

So i wondered, (this is a very simplistic version of what i was wondering) if say there was 2 people breeding one type of spider 5 years ago with an input population of 600 spiderlings being produced for sale, supposing that 60% of the population was males and mature in 2 years leaving 40% female taking perhaps the same time to mature but living for 10 years as a pose to the 2 years that males live...now if only 10% of the males and females are used for breeding into alternative genetic material, this is supposing that the other half of the bred spider comes from a genetic background that is a fresh source...so lets say 36 males and 24 females are bred into a new source...and that as an average there are 200 spiders from each captive bred program then you have the potential for 7,200 spiders from the males if they mate once and are consumed or die, and from the females if they are bred only twice in there life cycle then that's 9,600 spiderlings giving a total potential with those set variables of 16,800 spiderlings going out for sale. these then take 2 years to mature and are bred and so on so forth, the numbers increase rapidly...you get the picture...

Now assuming that all these spiders are bred into new genetic sources then the problems with inbreeding and the lack of natural selection via mother natures best efforts to ensure the procreation of strong genes wouldn't be an issue per-say...but given that in the captive environment we care for our creatures with all the best intentions and due to the necessity to see the off spring as a way of making money FOR SOME its in our interest to keep as many alive as possible ie, even the week survive! then inbreeding and poor diversity is a real issue in the larger picture...

But what for me makes it worse, is the fact that there are so many people breeding tarantulas but nobody monitoring where they eventually end up and thus nobody is able to say for sure that the spiders they are breeding are not being inbred. ok ok nobody except those boffin types are going to keep data bases on the distribution of all the spiders they sell and so are able to trace the breed lines to ensure at least some sort of diversity. BUT should we...after all we all talk about breeding to reduce the need to take wild caught specimens to help stave off the reduction of wild populations, but, does anybody pay any attention to what may be a time bomb within the breeding of captive breds due to the lack of control over specific genetic distribution...is this a problem or potential problem i dont know, but looking at the population growth and the lack of natural selective process our need to care may if not done correctly result in problems that will only arise after the damage has already been done, correcting it would be almost impossible....

Now to be honest i am not even sure that Tarantulas are even affected by inbreed problems, and i guess this logic may apply to all insects given the numbers buy which they exist, but i feel sure that a closed loop breeding cycle can in the long term and in the larger picture only do damage, breeding the week into the week and into the same family lines surly can only be detrimental. So if we choose to help the species and understand what they have to offer surly we have a responsibility to try to maintain a healthy level of diversity to at least give them and us the best chance.

if you throw into the mixing pot poorly described species and incorrect labelling with uncontrolled distribution poor diversity and the survival of the week gene...well it sounds bleak...i guess its not as bad as it sounds but it does make you wonder where it will lead in the end.......just a though that's all

I have not read any report demonstrating any sort of inbreeding depression in tarantulas. As a matter of fact, there was a BTS article not too long ago, where P. murinus was sibling crossed for a couple of generations, without any measurable effect.

Honestly, there are many fairly educated people in the hobby who assume they "need" to outcross with new "bloodlines" or even go to the extent of justifying wild caught stock for the questions you ask. Of course there has never been a publication demonstrating the "need" for any of it.

I have a real world example, and we can ignore arboreal species who now have very limited ranges and more than likely never disperse more than a few thousand yards in their lifetimes. In the 1980's a real despicable person dropped a couple of egg sacs of B. vagans into the Florida, USA ecosystem. Here we are, nearly 30 years later, and the population is doing just fine. While I do not know the reproductive time span for the species, as long as no new introductions were made, it's pretty safe to assume there have been at least 6 generations? Even after some attempts to eradicate them, and plenty of folks collecting them, the population is doing just fine. Furthermore, I'm quite sure any feeder insect population you look at originated from a handful of individuals. Arthropods are not mammals.

In any case, you do ask good questions, but there is no data to support them.
    They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

Well I hit the literature, very briefly, and ran across this article:

In case there is a country limitation on the link, here is the abstract:

Landscape fragmentation usually has a considerable effect on the genetic and demographic viability of most species because it reduces population size and increases isolation among populations. This situation provokes loss of genetic diversity and increased inbreeding that can lead to population or species extinctions. Some studies also show that landscape fragmentation may have no effect on or even positive consequences for species genetic diversity. The protected tarantula, Brachypelma vagans, exhibits a particular situation in the Mexican Caribbean, which has experienced high lowland and coastal fragmentation because of recent increases in agricultural, urban and touristic development. This modified landscape structure creates favorable conditions for establishment of B. vagans populations in rural settlements. Populations of this tarantula have high densities of individuals, principally females and juveniles, and gene dispersion is assumed by the rare males. Within this context, we studied the influence of natural and anthropogenic fragmentation on the genetic diversity of six B. vagans populations (five continental, one insular), together with their spatial organization. Our approach used seven inter simple sequence repeat markers, which are highly polymorphic markers. The 76 loci selected revealed high genetic variability for continental populations and a low, but not critical situation, for the insular population. We detected a good level of gene exchange among continental populations, and an evident and recent isolation of the island population. This species exhibits a metapopulation structure in the lowlands with numerous local populations where mature females exhibit high birth site fidelity. We conclude that this protected species does not exhibit characteristics to warrant its current conservation status, and we propose complete revision of the ecological and genetic situation for B. vagans in particular, and for all species within the genus Brachypelma in general.

Basically, it is the opinion of these authors that there is no detectable inbreeding depression. Now then, I'm not an expert on molecular biology, but I do accept peer reviewed literature over hobby opinion usually. Unless the literature is behind the hobby by several years, which does occur in our hobby. Does anyone have any observations supporting "inbreeding" issues in tarantulas?

Oh, also while skimming, I ran across a general trend in "social" spiders which resulted in high inbreeding rates, which was adaptive. So maybe we need to focus the discussion on non-social species, which do not disseminate for miles? Such discussions would matter greatly in the genus Poecilotheria!

Comment

I agree with Christian,

Show me the genetic variability in Mascaraneus remotus

Ray

Comment

ok cheers for the reply and abstract unfortunately i cant read the complete paper as its like 35 squid...well that's helped to clear my confusion up i have to say it was just a random though, being as don't know what the effects of this kind of situation are, i though i would just throw it out there to those with more experience that do, i wondered if there may have been a remote possibility this may have an effect, i have absolutely no data to support anything i said but then i guess i wouldn't as i was just throwing a though out that had been bugging me and i didn't know if it was right or not.. i guess not over all!! does this mean its ok to breed my P Cambridgei together if they are from the same egg sack?? hmm i guess by what your saying it will be fine....and if buy the same thought process it will be fine to keep breeding this way....with no detrimental effects...ok thanks for clearing this up and thanks for the detailed replies.....

Comment

Not knowing much about genetics, I'm interested to know why there might be no ill-effects from inbreeding in tarantulas. Is their genetic code so simple that there is no real difference between mating with a sibling and mating with a completely unrelated individual? I would have thought that if this were the case, there would be far fewer species within each genus as the genetic changes required to produce differentiation would occur more rarely. If not, what is it that makes them immune to the in-breeding issues seen in 'higher' animals?

Comment

It's not so much simple as that you do not see lethal or deleterious results from inbreeding. I was thinking about this over the weekend while working with some fly colonies. We have one colony of Cochliomyia macellaria which is now nearly a year old. It goes through a generation about every week or two, so on the conservative side, it has reproduced 20 times, on the long side, closer to 50. The entire colony came from ONE gravid female. I'm sure with a little digging, we could come up with similar examples at zoos with dozens of invertebrate species.

Christian

Comment

Working...
              X