does anyone know where to buy peat fom in birmingham uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone know where to buy peat fom in birmingham uk

hi there i am looking to change substrate and i was looking for some horticultural peat but i am struggling to find it anywhere. i can only find compost but this has added nutrients is this ok to use any advice would be gratefully recieved.

thanks sean

Most garden centres will stock peat but you could try
    Rattlesnake Canyon Pet Shop 574, Kingstanding Rd, Birmingham, West Midlands B44 9SD
    Tel: 0121 382 7451

Its run by a member of ours called Mike Connorbeer. He will be able to recomend a substrate to you

Ray
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

i can only find compost but this has added nutrients is this ok to use
      I've used compost by itself and mixed with other things like topsoil, seed compost and coir for many years with no problems, which reminds me that I've got to get another bag from B&Q as my last bag is almost gone.

Comment

thanks and ray for your replies. should i just use normal compost i have read that you should use compost with no fertiliser in it how do i know. also i only need a very small amount does it keep ?? .

thanks sean

Comment

Hey Sean,

there is a small invert/reptile section at Shirley Aquatics and I have bought cheap peat from them in the past - might be wise giving them a call first to check on availability.

They also sell coir/vermiculite etc if you're looking to make a substrate 'blend'. Also available is the usual tank decor, i.e silk plants/driftwood etc but this is 'pet shop pricey'! But there are some impressive fish and tanks to look at whilst you're there.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by sean grey View Post
            should i just use normal compost i have read that you should use compost with no fertiliser in it how do i know. also i only need a very small amount does it keep ?? .

thanks sean

Why no fertiliser in it ? Its never done any harm to my several hundred spiders. It will keep for several years ;-0

Comment

thanks again!!!

Comment

I'm not a fan of peat for one reason - if you allow it to dry excessively it is borderline impossible to correctly rehydrate. Coir is much more flexible in this respect. Feel free to experiment with a blend, I have used sand in my mixtures before now and may do so again in the future.

Comment

thanks everyone i have changed the substrate now got some peat from shirley aquatics

Comment

Substrate questions will produce a variety of suggestions based on peoples experiences and what's fashionable at the time. Ultimately it will come down to what you (and your animals) prefer. I have used the Coir in the past and thought it was good as it doesn't turn solid like peat when it dries... I then got plagued with mold and mushrooms in my tanks and so abandoned it (though I do have a few tubs left which seem to be ok, so it might have been a contaminated batch). I have since gone back to my tried and tested peat/vermiculite mix. It works great you just have to keep half an eye on it not drying out. As your animals are in enclosed spaces you want to try and prevent mite/mould/fungus build up. For me that is why I would never touch compost as it is far too full of nutrients... but then Pete doesn't not seem to have had any issues.
                    As I said... all down to personal experience.
                    Anyway, Peat is becoming harder to get as it is classed as un-environmentally friendly.. I used to get it from a garden center in Studley but then have stopped selling it. So i will try that place in Shirley myself next time!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Ashley View Post
                      For me that is why I would never touch compost as it is far too full of nutrients... but then Pete doesn't not seem to have had any issues.
                      As I said... all down to personal experience.
                      Nope no issues apart from the odd mushroom growing but I had them growing while using coir so no change there. I cant see the aversion to nutrients in the substrate though.
                      I did get a lot of light green mold growing on slightly damp coir in heavily ventilated tubs (which was a bit of a shock !!) but overall I much prefer a compost/top soil mix to coir.

A pokie tank that I set up a few weeks ago and a new growth right in the front.

Its just a few mushrooms not a Triffid so I'm sure that they wont eat my Pokie LOL

Comment

Pressed the reply to thread button and wiped out my reply. Sigh!
                        I err would suggest removing the mushrooms. Because it is in a confined/enclosed space there is no where for the spores to go other than around the tank. End result loads of mushrooms. So though it may not do any harm, it won't do any good either.
                        There was an article a while back in the journal in regard to a nasty yellow mushroom which wiped out a few of the writers spiders in a particularly nasty way.
                        Best to be safe than sorry as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Ashley View Post
                          I err would suggest removing the mushrooms. Because it is in a confined/enclosed space there is no where for the spores to go other than around the tank.
                          The two 'shrooms were carefully removed after the photo was taken.
                          I made that mistake several years ago when i let the 'shroom drop its spores . . .big mistake as i had dozens of them pop up afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                          X